Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Standing on one foot  (Read 5154 times)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Standing on one foot
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2021, 07:10:18 pm »
  I assume horses lock their knees when they take a standing snooze too.
  No they don't, they have three legs slightly flexed and one rear leg bent at the ankle joint.  They swap legs regularly while still napping  It's funny to watch them when you stay absolutely quiet :roflanim:
Horses also have a locking stay mechanism in the stifle which means when it is locked it stays locked, until the horse deliberately unlocks it.  Young horses and those in very poor condition can suffer from a stay mechanism that stays locked on starting to move, so that the leg does not come forward with the step.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2021, 12:34:46 am »
I've wondered about joining a yoga class.  I've assumed I'm too creaky with a worsening hip, but I just might look into that  :thumbsup:

Find a class and teacher that's "old crock" friendly.  I can't stress enough how much help yoga has been to me - flexibility, muscle tone, core strength, balance, and also my emotional wellbeing.  I am so lucky that we have a wonderful teacher within the community.  Two of us old crocks do one class with her and she has another pair of younger / less-crockies before us.

There are lots of yoga teachers doing online sessions now, you may be able to find something suitable for your "age and stage" ;) .  If not, shout - I could ask our teacher if she might do one.  I do know she has produced some CDs of some of the more basic and gentle movements, which would quite possibly be suitable.

I did a google search and was amazed at how many yoga classes there are in my area, including in the next village.  However, I flatly refuse to appear in public in a lycra leotard  :roflanim:  In our local school gym, which is open to the public after school, there is an extraordinary number of exercise classes of absolutely every type you can imagine, or even not imagine.  I found one called 'Body Balance', which is made of a mix of elements from yoga, thai chi and pilates.  So then I searched on youtube and found hour long videos by various people on that.  I think that's the way for me.  Although we are now no longer officially having to shield, I find myself very nervous about mixing again, especially somewhere like an exercise class - a lot of heavy breathing in an enclosed space -  so continuing as an anchorite in my cell will do me just fine. I also have an adverse reaction to exercise types, oozing fitness and bonhomie.

The upside is that I can already stand on one leg, as long as it's the left one, for over a minute, while waving my arms and the other leg around in a variety of ballet positions.  Standing on the other leg, the gammy one, is not quite so successful, but the orthopaedic nurse in me tells me when to stop trying.  That same orthopaedic nurse tells me which muscle groups to exercise gently, and the dodgy heart tells me when to stop. So I'm very self contained and meantime I'll watch on youtube and keep practicing  :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :notworthy: :surrender:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2021, 08:17:00 am »
Great!   :excited:  :yippee: :yippee:  Have fun - in private ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS