Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: planning advice North Wales  (Read 2284 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
planning advice North Wales
« on: September 22, 2019, 12:41:16 pm »
Like others seem to have done on this site  we are thinking of adding a glamping pod or shepherds' hut into our garden for holiday let use. We know our proposed commercial use would attract the attention of the planning department. We are outside the national park and  already have a wooden holiday lodge which was snuck in some 14 years ago by the previous owners in a different part of the small holding, possibly still within the original garden,  without any PP  - but it has been openly used commercially for all that time and by us for the last 4.5 years (it has 52 weeks per year availability and has been assessed for business rates)

The lodge has been attached to the land on brick plinths with a wrap around balcony and a lean to porch for all of that time but somewhere underneath is a very wide base on wheels . It has its own separate access from the public road via a fenced  track across our land to a large parking area and separate gardens. We would want to use the same tack access to reach a parking space for any future pod/s.

We have obtained dated google earth images from showing all the above in place for at least 10 years and evidence of commercial use for all of that time. We believe the planners cannot do much about that Lodge now but we think we should do future development 'by the book' and do not want to open a can of worms.

We are looking for a GOOD planning adviser to discuss our further options in relation to a possible future house where the lodge now stands  and what we should do if we wanted to add another pod or even two. We already have in place a waste treatment system that can accommodate this additional use and have electricity and mains water to the site area.
Can anyone recommend someone?
Greg

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: planning advice North Wales
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 05:24:12 pm »
Back in 2011 we wanted to build 2 extensions to our barn conversion and there was no way the Planners would allow it as it had already in effect had 2 previous permissions.
Our architect recommended Asbri planning in Swansea who got us what we wanted after one meeting with the Planners; they were not too expensive either. Some of their staff had actually previously worked for the Planning department.
I've no idea if their reach/clout extends to North Wales but maybe worth a phone call?
www.asbriplanning.co.uk

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 08:55:23 pm »
Thanks Henchard
I will email them.

Glenroy

• Joined Sep 2017
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 06:12:18 pm »
Roy Speer, a planning consultant writer for a self-build magazine, can come out and assess a proposal for an article, which can provide a useful insight for landowner/prospective purchasers.  I met Roy 20+ years ago when I set out on my journey to obtain planning on my four acre smallholding.  It's been a long and drawn out process but with Roy's expertise we secured permission to build my bungalow, in the Cheshire Green Belt, in June of this year.  From what you've described, I'd say he's definitely worth a call.

www.speerdade.co.uk

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 01:35:58 pm »
Thank you! Glenroy. Just seen this

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Re: planning advice North Wales UPDATE
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 06:51:26 pm »
Well I have gone round in circles with this.
It seems I can secure the Lodge's right to remain as it has been there for 10 years but getting permission for a shepherd's hut or pod in the garden seems impossible. As I understand it I can add a moveable structure solely for my own use within the garden curtilage but as I expected, if I want to let it commercially, I will need PP which the indications are I will not get.
[Ironically I could probably argue for an totally off grid structure (or 5) on the land but I do not have an easily identified water source - and that is likely to be my biggest challenge.
So...... the thinking is
If I build a garden office / studio for me' and occasionally my friends and family, in the garden that would mean I am not losing rent on my lodge (as usually all they have a freebie week when they visit ) and there is some economic advantage still to be had - and I do need a home office. I currently take over the main living room. BUT it would only be practicable as a substitute if it was self contained with own bathroom and kitchenette.
Can I build such a 'moveable structure' ( am thinking of a pod now)  with loo, shower and kitchen within my garden under permitted development on the basis that it is not genuinely going to be for commercial use?
Realistically, if I was to also plan, once I retire in the next few years , to Air BnB the then redundant study   am I likely to get away with that?
Has anyone successfully obtained PP and placed a commercially let pod in Conwy/ Denbigh?
any suggestions gratefully received

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS