Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What should I expect back from the abbatoir?  (Read 2403 times)

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
What should I expect back from the abbatoir?
« on: October 20, 2010, 06:49:29 pm »
Just collected my first boxed lamb from the abatoir. I'm really chuffed! I estimated it's live weight to be about 40kg which means that the weight on the label of 19.9kg makes sense. The box seems a bit light though! We got back two back legs, two shoulders, two rack of ribs, two rack of chops and one other joint about the size of half a brick - not sure what it is - possibly from the neck? We also got the liver and heart which we asked for. Should this add up to the weight of 19.9kg? or does this weight include bits like the ends of the legs, skull spine and innards that have been discarded?

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: What should I expect back from the abbatoir?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 08:02:56 pm »
have you weighed up each and every bit? what did that weigh?

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 08:27:23 pm »
the dead weight is the weight of what you get back, you should have also got the kidneys and you can also ask for the tongue lamb shanks and skin for tanning,
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 07:58:56 pm »
The weight of the carcass was 19.9kg. We got it back from the abatoir cut up it added up to 16.8kg including liver and heart. When I asked the abatoir about the difference in weight they confirmed that it was due to bits discarded when the carcass was cut up including the spine pelvic bones and fat. Is this loss of about 3kg from the carcass what I should expect?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS