Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you set up a website?  (Read 11638 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: How do you set up a website?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 01:35:01 am »
We use weebly too - you can chop and change as much as you like or have time for and it really is very simple....even I can do it, a total computer eegit  ;D  Still loads more to put on, but we have made a start at:
www.scothebs.co.uk
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 06:58:22 am »
Fleecewife
just looked at your website. looks fantastic.
love your veggies :carrot: :brocolli: :peas: :pig: :sheep: :chook:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 10:15:50 am »
Thank you Manian  :-[ :)  I want to make the veggie section much bigger with written details but just no time yet.  I also need a much longer lens on my camera to get better pics, especially of sheep.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 01:18:52 pm »
I use webs too - used to be a manual web developer back in the days of text editors but can't be bothered to learn the techie updates so just used a template http://kirkcarrion.webs.com
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 08:49:03 pm »
Well ill be, Ive been doing websites for 12 years and I had never seen Weebly. I was quite impressed, just the job for people who want to do their own thing.

One of my websites was featured on Sky tv this week, voted 2nd best Angling and fishery site on the net  ;D I was well chuffed  ;) www.emeraldpool.co.uk

Odd thing is I never really ever blow me own trumpet and always say I'm so so and not right up with the new mods. Oh well trumpet blown, now I'm going to remove me red face.  :-\ :D

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 10:20:21 pm »
Maybe it's because we're on here because of "what we like to do" and not "what we do to earn money" it's difficult to mix the two - and I don't like to advertise but if someone asks - then help always given, must admit, enjoy talking about the goats more than about websites!!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 12:40:36 am »
Talking of talking about goats- maybe this would be up your street?

http://www.anglo-nubian.org.uk/ See the notice on the home page there. Not sure how much the renumeration would be though.

Beth

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 02:47:48 am »
Maybe it's because we're on here because of "what we like to do" and not "what we do to earn money" it's difficult to mix the two - and I don't like to advertise but if someone asks - then help always given, must admit, enjoy talking about the goats more than about websites!!!

I couldn't agree more  :D If we looked to hard at how much it costs to produce things and what we spent in time from a money point of view, think we would all be checking into the nearest funny farm rather than smallholding  ;D

your comment also made me a bit aware of what I had written  ??? :-[ So for the record; I should make it clear, that my websites rant done for profit or business. I started doing it when I became so ill as a way of keeping my brain signals going or exercising the grey matter ;) I do however pass on money to charity if its insisted: I only do sites for friends, mostly family they benefit from my activities for nowt, all i can say is what I get from it and animal husbandry ifs priceles, to many people sit and dwell, gotta keep moving while you can, no dowbt in the future ill sit dwell and moan, mind you reckon I went trough a bit where Ive already done that :D I know because my OH reminds me often  ;D ;D  :D :D

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 07:29:39 pm »
my turn!

have finally decided to go ahead and set up the business properly so now need to have website and all that is attached to it!  Have no money to get someone to set it up for me so I need to go for it myself.....

I will need to keep it updated with changes to my products and will eventually want people to be able to order online as well.

I also want to be able to post recipe suggestions on it.

So do i buy the domain name first and then use whoever (had a look at weebly and liked that) to set up the pages?

and i dont think i understand hosting - is this just someone to support the site?  or is it something else?

thanks everyone! ??? ???

HappyHippy

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 08:11:58 pm »
If you do a website through webs you can get a free site & free hosting - no outlay whatsoever - only drawback is you have webs.com at the end instead of .co.uk and some ads on your site - but you can sell up to 5 different price points, have photo's, blogs, forums etc etc etc.
It's who I use and it's really simple to set up, have a wee look !
http://yonderton.webs.com

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 12:26:25 am »
my turn!

have finally decided to go ahead and set up the business properly so now need to have website and all that is attached to it!  Have no money to get someone to set it up for me so I need to go for it myself.....

I will need to keep it updated with changes to my products and will eventually want people to be able to order on line as well.

I also want to be able to post recipe suggestions on it.

So do i buy the domain name first and then use whoever (had a look at weebly and liked that) to set up the pages?

and i don't think i understand hosting - is this just someone to support the site?  or is it something else?

thanks everyone! ??? ???

So sorry very late reply but Ill try and outline stuff for you  :-\ here goes  ;D ;D

1/ Website: A site on the web that you add content to so that others can see what you choose to show.
2/ Domain Name: Most Every website has a domain name example is www.theaccidentalsmallholder.net .co.uk domains can be bought for around £6.00 for two years.
3/ Hosting: A person or company that supplies you space on the web where your website resides, They use a computer (Server) to store your site, you can change your site and add to the server.
The sites mentioned i.e. weebly etc provide all this at no charge and will do what you need for now.

If however you want to sell on the net then you really should have secure sites: Security is something you apply to your site in the form of a certificate and shows customers that they are buying in a safe environment. I have stayed away from e-commerce (Shop sites) up to now; Ive just completed my first shop site for my other half.

If you want anymore info please ask away, anything I'm unsure of I can soon find out and come back to you, I know there are other website builders here as well. hope that helped and didn't confuse you more.

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 10:45:24 am »
my 16 year old had to design a website and get it up and running for his ICT GCSE he got an A*  and that was 2 years ago at 14!  if you know anyone who is doing ICT GCSE at school they could probably knock you what you need up in no time with loads of bells and whistles!!! - probably cost you a McDonalds?  That generation can use technology like we can't imagine its second nature to them.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 10:56:25 am »
I missed this - I've 2 sites up on webs.com, one just using the free domain and the other with a bought domain transferred in.

Happy to give you a hand if you're not already up and running, next time I'm over..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 11:40:05 am »
I've done it!!  I am so chuffed with myself - and many thanks for every single piece of advice and help, I really appreciate it.

so my site is......

www.laurasallsorts.co.uk

happy to receive feedback - oh and orders of course!!

and i know the mothers day date is wrong - will be changing shortly :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 02:21:52 pm »
Well done, Laura.  I've just been asked to set up an easily updated website for a PC eejit friend so might just use one of these systems too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS