Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: if you shear in may, do you need to re treat for fly strike if already treated?  (Read 12854 times)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
That's a good question Sylvia - in the 'old' days farmers used to apply tar (which I believe you can still buy) to keep the flies away.  There is evidence of the Cistercian Monks (the original sheep farmers of this country) using tar to keep flies away as long ago as the thirteenth century. Don't think it was particularly effective though and definitely no good for the fleeces.  If anyone has had any luck with a more 'natural' product, even if it does need to be applied daily, I would be interested to know too.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
We apply stockholm tar to our new lambs to stop the fox or badger getting a nice taste if it grabs a lamb.  Wonder if it also works for flies?

Ta

Barry

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
If you are likely to shear late due to contractors apply Clik in March/ early April which will protect until July or keep the sheep in an exposed windy field away from trees if you have one and check them daily, keep them well trimmed around the bum and keep an eye on their shoulders. treat any that you see with strike immediately.....it will not be the whole flock and seems to run in families ??? If you are near the sea or have primitives there does not seem to be such a risk as with the 'down' types with dense fleece. Always treat lambs as they either will not be shorn or will be shorn in autumn.
Citronella and garlic spray can work.....but do not rely on it :o
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
I wouldn't take the risk. But you could try it and keep a close eye on things and then report back to us

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Its good to see all the views put forward, ....... my local shepard who has a fairly large flock discussed this with me last week, he said its a bit of a science....he sheers early (may)...then treats once with click at the same time, this year he got it right no fly strike, no additional treatments required altho he kept a close eye this october as wet and warm.

I think I will try this and be on guard with a dose of Crovect in October if required
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
I have Ouessant and Shetlands and will try "natural" methods next year. Spraying or rubbing in Citronella or Camphor also spraying with garlic water. As this will be done every day I will soon spot if it doesn't work.
Do you think that with Stockholm tar the flies got caught up in it rather than it kept them away?

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Sylvia, I think I'll have a go at on the sheep I'm keeping for fleeces.    Do you know anywhere online where I can get the stuff?  I would think the farm supplies would be chemicals only.  Mine flock are checked daily too, so, like you say, we'll soon know if its not working.  Cheers.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
http://www.barrier-biotech.com/product.php?pid=BR

This is the link for natural product that is good
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Thanks, Wooly Shepherd, I was going to go to Body Shop. A bit more expensive, I think!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS