Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tup up to business again  (Read 1577 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Tup up to business again
« on: November 26, 2019, 07:06:24 pm »
My tup served a ewe on 10th Oct. I re-raddled him 17 days after the first ewe was marked which was the 8th Oct. I had no new colours appear so took his raddle off. Today he was up to mischief three or four times with the same ewe. Does this mean she didn’t take after all? Or she could’ve but it didn’t stick? First time was 6 1/2 weeks ago! Anyone shed any light? I’m a little concerned as I’m guessing sheep don’t mate for a bit of fun...?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Tup up to business again
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 07:35:00 pm »
I’m guessing sheep don’t mate for a bit of fun...?

Actually it can happen!  I have had a ewe appear to have returned to the tup, and I’ve definitely witnessed action, and then she’s lambed to the earlier date (and no they weren’t premature.).

However, I would think the most likely thing is your ewe lost her first implanted eggs, and has come cycling again.  Many things can cause them to lose the embryos early on, of which stress is probably the most likely. 

It’s one of the reasons farmers hate people who let their dogs run loose amongst sheep, saying “it’s okay, s/he won’t hurt them” - because just having a strange dog running amongst them is plenty enough stress to cause one or more to lose their embryos.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 08:31:18 pm »
Can’t think they’ve been stressed. We’re away from roads and no neighbouring farms etc. Always things could happen without you knowing though. I’ve got it marked down so will see what we see come scanning time. We weren’t going to bother with scanning due to numbers but now getting it done the same time as someone we know who has a larger number. Will be useful for feeding, although Badgers outside so can’t really alter theirs individually. As their tup wasn’t raddled it’ll be good to just get a yay or a nay!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 09:21:28 am »
It could be that she didn't take, or could be that she absorbed the foetus early on and came back into season? Although most are fertile, not all ewes are and some ewes just won't stand properly for the ram, which is worth bearing in mind, particularly as I think your ewes are young.

One of my ewes didn't get in lamb until she was 3, she didn't take the first year and I gave her another chance, she didn't take again the following year and I meant to cull her, but never got round to it, the following year she did take (lucky for her!)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 09:48:08 am »
This is often the reason for barren sheep as the ram will have been removed and  then the ewe loses the foetus early , this is why the first 6wks after tupping ewes need to be kept calm with no big changes .   When you scan you can ask what approx, age each foetus is , this can tell you if any are early or very late

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 09:12:44 pm »
They’re around 18 months at the moment. She definitely stood nicely this time round if she didn’t before!! We’ve decided to keep him with the ewes for the majority of the year which, if she did lose it, has worked out well.

Will remember to ask how far along they are come scanning. With six weeks difference should be easy to tell.

If any of them come up empty we will definitely be giving them another chance next year. Someone we know culled two of theirs straight away which I think is a bit harsh.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 07:38:50 am »
The problem with giving empty ewes another chance next year is they then have 12 months of essentially holiday and can get very fat, which can in turn lead to more problems. Anything here that’s empty will go cull... it’s not harsh, my ewes have to earn their keep and our grass is very good so they get fat easily if not rearing twins. If your sheep are pets then it’s not a problem about the finance but the condition issues still apply.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 09:32:20 am »
The problem with giving empty ewes another chance next year is they then have 12 months of essentially holiday and can get very fat, which can in turn lead to more problems. Anything here that’s empty will go cull... it’s not harsh, my ewes have to earn their keep and our grass is very good so they get fat easily if not rearing twins. If your sheep are pets then it’s not a problem about the finance but the condition issues still apply.

What twiz said, it takes some management to breed a ewe successfully after a year off. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS