Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Daisy thinks she is in pup.  (Read 3877 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Daisy thinks she is in pup.
« on: May 21, 2020, 02:30:17 pm »
Daisy our Jack Rusell had her first season in March age 10 months. She was never out without one of us being there and we live well off the road. I have even asked our postman if there are any male dogs round about but as far as he knows it is all bitches. She was due to get spayed this month but that was put on hold due to lock down. She is showing all the signs you would expect from an in pup bitch, even nesting the last of couple of days but ithere are no puppies in there.When out with the other dogs she is running about like a mad thing chasing the ball etc. Anyone had a young bitch go through this. I had one of my German Shepherds when she was about 9 years old but it only happened the once after we took on orpan lambs.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Daisy thinks she is in pup.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 03:27:26 pm »
Yes, it can be quite distressing to watch them if it's a really bad false pregnancy.  She'll probably find things to take to her nest - these being surrogate pups.  But just as a final reassurance try to remember the date of her first day in season, add 10 days to that, then 63 days to that - that is likely when she'd have pups if she'd been mated.  A fairly accurate guide. 

So long as she isn't too unhappy or making too much mess with her nesting just leave her to it.  But watch for her disappearing as JRs are notorious for digging under sheds and having their pups here.  And remove any toys etc that could be used as pups as she might gather them to her and guard them
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 03:43:01 pm »
My older Labrador, now 6, has had a false pregnancy following every season. She was neutered last year because on a couple of occasions she showed signs of being unwell at about the point that the pups would have been due. The vet thought that it could have been the start of a pyometra but that I noticed subtle changes in her behaviour so it was caught and stopped very early on. Apparently womb infections are more common in bitches that have false pregnancies and hence we took the decision to have her spayed.
She never made nests or showed much change in behaviour but was full of milk for weeks! We never let her outdoors without us being there from as soon as she started her season so knew that she couldn't be in pup.
Our young bitch, now 15 months, has had 3 seasons already and one false pregnancy so far after her second season. Again no nest building but she was full of milk and quieter than normal.
So, yes, it happens in young bitches in our experience.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 07:28:34 pm »
As soon as we can get her spayed she will be done. I do feel so sorry for her, she wants lots of cuddles.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 01:07:04 pm »
With lockdown and restrictions that might be a while, but I don't like spaying my bitches before they are 2 anyway.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS