Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Toms finally coming to their end  (Read 1945 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Toms finally coming to their end
« on: November 10, 2019, 10:17:04 pm »
I've not had them last this late into the season without blight before (better ventilation this year?). Inerestingly with mild frosts it's the one's turning just yellow that split.. there's still a few green one's I'm picking to ripen indoors but the leaves have shrivelled from frost and I'm slowly ripping everything out.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Toms finally coming to their end
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 11:39:08 pm »
I picked all mine before the first minus 5 frost here about 10 days ago.  They are ripening indoors.  Some are fine to eat fresh and I have made red tomato and apple chutney.  Now I will make green tomato and apple chutney with some of the rest.  At the same time I clear picked the chillis and as well as using them in the other chutneys I shall make some very hot chilli, apple and date chutney, using a pound of chillis  :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili:  - I didn't grow the dates!
There are still several more trays of ripening fruit to work through after all that. Instead of my usual blight tolerant Sakura, I grew Pomona toms from Italy - they have taken so long to grow and ripen they had barely started being pickable before the frost came, so although they are really tasty and showed no blight, I shall not grow them again.  I also grew Mountain Magic which is blight resistant and they were late to ripen too.  Back to Sakura next year  :tomato: :tomato: :tomato:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 03:51:22 am »
I only grow yellow toms now..seem to be sweeter and always get attention from visitors and very popular when i give surplus away. Can't remember the current variety 'golden something'
Chillis also picked but V and I keep eating them halved and batter-fried. I grow jalopenos for that. I did plant some scotch bonnet but very slow to fruit in comparison. Also lots of bell peppers and suprised myself by finding a few i hadn't noticed when i stripped out the plants....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 02:07:04 pm »
I've been chopping chillis for chilli chutney this morning.  Just over 1 lb of them - 100 chillis!  They are Basket of Fire which are 80,000 CHU so hot but not daftly so.  I wonder how many jars I will get?  I'm making up the recipe as I go along!

I don't find yellow tomatoes grown here are all that sweet - not enough sun.  You must have much better growing conditions.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 10:46:59 pm »
I still have some ripening in the greenhouse which I will pick in the next few days. We had our first frost Sunday night but it wasn't very cold so they survived it.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 04:16:53 am »
All toms finished , glasshouse emptied ,  soapy water cleaned & the slabbed floor bleach sterilized .   It's now holding 36 plus overwintering geraniums & four tubs of strawberries which are  still giving fruit due to using a home made 28 hr candle as a heater in the glasshouse . The geraniums are in good bloom too .

All spent tomato compost on the veg beds with the stems & roots being chopped up for the compost bin.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS