Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Harness for energetic labrador - any recommendations?  (Read 2580 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Harness for energetic labrador - any recommendations?
« on: August 30, 2019, 03:51:49 pm »
Our Bentley (black lab) is now coming up for 15 months and big and boisterous (his chest measurement is 76 cm right now). I would like to get him a harness for walking, as I still prefer to have him on a lead - he is apt to chase the odd pheasant and greets any horse rider enthusiastically....
I have seen the Julius K9 one on a lot of dogs, but it is quite pricey.... any other makes that come recommended to further research?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Harness for energetic labrador - any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 07:47:53 pm »
I take it he does get plenty of free running otherwise?  I have never had to use a harness for walking my brittanys which as a breed are extremeley strong for their size, but have been told that the Julius harnesses are the best you can get..  I assume training classes have been unsuccessful in getting him to walk to heel?

I have a routine with any new pups i have - from as soon as they can walk if i have bred them, or whenever they come to live with me if bought in.

I put on the lead and just stand still as they leap about till they stop and look at me.  It can take a while.

Then i step fprward.  If they pull ahead I stop.  They almost always come back, but usually at least stop.  I give the command 'heel'.  Then I take another step forward - same routine. If tehy continue to pull I turn around and walk back to where I started.
Again it can take a while.  But believe me it works
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 07:55:06 pm »
He walks to heel on the lead fine, and his recall is actually ok, but he doesn't see that many people, so if we meet any he is very keen. We are working on it.  But as I want to walk him further away from home with the possibility of sheep on the hill I just prefer the lead.

I also currently walk with at least one stick on any longer walks, so am looking into getting a belt to attach lead to.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 07:59:07 pm »
Ah, I understand, Anke.  He's a typical exuberant baby!    :excited: :excited:  As I said the Julius harnesses are reputed to be very good
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 04:50:04 pm »
I have julius's for both of mine, mainly cos if one has a new gadget, so does the other. However, the reason I actually bought them is my mum is decrepit and wanted to walk, even just down the road, so the harnesses were purchased as the one dog is epileptic and should anything happen whilst walking (She start fitting) then mum said even she could manage to pull her off the road with the top handle. Each time been to the vets, they said they have liked the harness as I have customised the labels!!! (It wasn't me, on one side and I didn't do it, On the other as for both dogs, it really does suit them!) I didn't fork out for the chest plates, but I have since, for both of them, the plates with the rings. Both harnesses are the IDC model. I use them as car harnesses as well, not the original idea, but it works. There is quite a bit of give with them as the epileptic dog is 37.4kg Rottweiler x collie and when she has to go in the car with it On and it's hot, it's firm but loose enough for either her big cooling blanket to go underneath or any of her cool coats. I agree, they are expensive but when I got mine i managed to pay between £25 and £30 each as they were on offer at Zooplus. The one thing i do regret is that you can't add rings and I  have since learnt that you can buy various variations of this harness with extra rings so you do need to Google and decide what works for you.
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 07:58:27 pm »
Thanks - I was wondering about the car use as well, as Bentley is very keen to come with me in the van when I go out and he has now outgrown his car harness....

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 04:23:35 pm »
Just to say we settled (on advice of the dog trainer) on a Perfect Fit harness - and it is really very good. Not the cheapest, but does indeed fit perfectly!
https://www.dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfect-fit-fleece-dog-harness.html

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 11:48:33 am »
I bought a Niggeloh harness, expensive at £50+ but so much better than the cheap Ancol one I had been using.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS