Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Soft Rush 'Hay'  (Read 1612 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Soft Rush 'Hay'
« on: October 06, 2019, 10:43:44 am »
Going back a few years to July 2016, saw an article in Country Smallholder magazine regarding using Soft Rush as a hay substitute. It was a very interesting article and just lately i can see a use for it should it be a good alternative as we have loads of it around here.

So my question is. Has anyone here had experience of using it as a hay substitute?
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Soft Rush 'Hay'
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 11:17:21 am »
If it is the same stuff I am thinking of then your problem would be getting them to eat it.  I think it would make better bedding.

A lot depends on how much grass you have along with the rush for hay.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 11:42:42 am »
Sorry Buttermilk. I should have stated when i first posted that i meant to use it for bedding (Rabbits at first). Apparently pigs will eat some of it and goats, all of it.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 04:50:14 pm »
so rather than a hay substitute you mean a straw substitute? Yes, I think it'd work well as long as it was properly dried out before it was baled and wasn't dusty or smelt stale/mouldy

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 07:02:07 am »
I found the goats will eat the rushes green in the field but not dried in the hay.They left just them in the rack and I threw them down as bedding but there wasn't much volume.You'd need a lot to make a decent bed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS