Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 12v energisers  (Read 2087 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
12v energisers
« on: October 16, 2019, 07:58:11 am »
For decades we've sworn by Hotline but the 2 recent additions to the family, Falcons, have died at 3 and 4 year old! My 2 older fencers, also Falcons, over 25 years old have also recently died. Always happens all at once!

Apparently there is a known fault in the newer models!

So, can anyone suggest a strong 12v fencer as good as or better than the Falcon? To me they are best allrounders, boundery, silage, strip! Repairs are half the cost of a new fencer but guarantees are a year then again I worry about hotline parts.

Not too expensive though as I need 2!

Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: 12v energisers
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 08:17:04 am »
I am not much help as we have Hotline Gemini here.  One broke under warranty and it went for mending.  The local ag store lost it whilst it was being delivered back to me so gave me a new one.  The repaired one turned up about 4 months later.  I have 4 in total as used in several sites, including one always attached to the mains for the near fields.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 11:11:52 am »
I have had similar experiences with the Hotline, I thought I'd pay the extra and have one that would ;last but it stopped working just outside the warranty :(

I have three in use at the moment and have been buying the Xstop ones from Ebay for around £45-£50, they last a couple of years and for that price you don't mind so much when they stop working!

Anvia

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 02:26:45 pm »
All Hotline here too and some of ours are ancient! - there are a couple we bought used from farm sales & one came from eBay virtually new & in huge bundle of fencing from someone giving up horses. We didn’t pay so much second hand - or there was plenty of other fencing kit so not so much of a risk. I’m sorry to hear the quality has dropped though, too many things that could last have become “consumables”. If the older ones are more reliable then maybe worth considering someone selling a used older one?

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 07:25:19 pm »
mine has just failed after 7 years but at 52 quid plus vat for a repair not under warranty, i will stick with them

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 04:04:30 pm »
The older ones dying i could stomach, but not the newer so I complained to hotline and after several debates with them, I let rip!

Eventually they agreed to repair one of the failures (which I paid for but only a three month guarantee, I told them that they obviously don't have much faith in their own work!) And to replace free of charge the older falcon with the latest falcon. This one got a 5 year warranty. Due to the older models really being decrepit i bought another Falcon with 5 year warranty. But I still only have 3 fencers!

Oh, and to top it all off as the world seems to think I'm made of money, 1 of my batteries died so I had to buy 2 new marine batteries at the same time. Again, thinking "things can't get too bad" another battery died couple of weeks ago so I bought a replacement! (I have 1 per fencer and 1 floater which is always ready to go either for a fence or for a shearing machine!)

All well? Yes? BLOODY NO! All fencers currently in use and then Mary and Jennifer decide to escape through a fence panel and wander up the drive and meet a visitor! Unfortunately no more fencers and if I buy another it means another battery! Drives me barmy thinking about it!!

No where to hook up a mains other wise would get one!

Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS