Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clean Water for Goats  (Read 1482 times)

Festus

• Joined Jan 2019
Clean Water for Goats
« on: October 07, 2019, 04:19:46 pm »
The water source for my goats is a large IBC which is filled by rainwater from the roof of the goat shed down a drainpipe.  Not surprising the water is now looking less than palatable.  Does anyone know of anything I can use in the IBC to keep the water potable for livestock ???

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: Clean Water for Goats
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 08:08:35 pm »
Water purification tablets ?  Do you use enough volume of water to justify a large container ?  A large slow flowing reserve of water would be subject to alge forming along with other bugs and beasties with out treatment.
If you need a large amount consider some basic filtration and some treatment.

We use a 200 ltr drum to ensure good turn round without treatment. Having said that we do have 4000ltr standing water in IBC's that has been treated, multi use , static caravan anchor/emergency water supply/ fire pump supply.

Zyg

• Joined Nov 2018
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 01:49:34 pm »
Get rid of the dirty water and clean the IBC.
Cover the IBC to prevent any sunlight getting to it and refill.

Festus

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 08:37:29 pm »
Many thanks.  I think I need a smaller container.  It services my 12 sheep as well but they don’t drink water quickly enough to justify such a large one.  I’ll also see what filtration systems are out there. Thank you for responding

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS