Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tagging  (Read 2399 times)

tommytacit

• Joined Jun 2010
tagging
« on: October 18, 2010, 08:57:00 am »
Have a small flock of Soay.
Had 16 lambs this year and i expect i now need to tag them....!
Can anyone tell me where to get the tagging machine from, and what numbers i need to put on them?
thanks

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: tagging
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:37:32 am »
You get the tags through companies such as Shearwell, Daltons, Allflex etc.  They will issue you with the assigned numbers.  In Scotland they must have 5 digits and start 00001.  This year you need 2 tags, one of which has an EID in (for electronic reading).  There are a couple of earlier threads on here dealing with tagging.  For Soays you need to be very carefull which size of tag you use.  I bought Allflex Bubblegum tags for my Hebrideans but they look huge in the Soays.  You could contact Julie Suffolk of the Soay Sheep Soc who will tell you the type she bought for her flock.
The applicator is different for each type of tag - of course  :o - and you can buy it when you buy the tags.  Tags can be ordered online - you will need to give your Holding Number and the details are kept on record.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 10:57:12 am »
  :sheep:Actually you don't need an electronic tag for your lambs if they are going for slaughter, either direct or through a market, before they are 12 months old. For that reason all mine are going for meat this year as I can't do with all this increasing regulation.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:21:42 am »
<<Actually you don't need an electronic tag for your lambs if they are going for slaughter>>

Depends on where you are - in Scotland you do. Thinking about it, I don't really understand this regulation for England - surely it is when animals are going through the marts and for slaughter that they need the speed (when it works properly) of electronics? 

Also Soays are unlikely to be going for slaughter before 12 months as they take a couple of years or more to grow big enough.  I'm not sure where Tommytacit is based, but the tag companies will keep him right anyway.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS