Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat's cheese flavours  (Read 2224 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Goat's cheese flavours
« on: October 04, 2019, 05:11:39 pm »
Now, I'm quite partial to a bit of goat or sheep milk cheese.  However, I recently bought some Tesco spreadable (blended with cream) goat's cheese to apply to some rather fragile savoury biscuits.  Oh dear - so "goaty" and remnants are now in the wormery.  (I await the worms' verdict  :) )

So, reason for post is to ask what makes one goat's cheese taste absolutely awful (like licking a goats' scratching post*) while others are an absolute flavoursome delight? 

(*Obviously I made that up for dramatic effect.)

Also to say that the Tesco "spreadable" was no more spreadable than a nice moist un-adalterated goat/sheep curd so it is doubly a product that no one should be considering to buy. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 06:54:01 pm by arobwk »

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Goat's cheese flavours
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 05:35:16 pm »
I dont know what the supermarkets do it it. Always seems to taste better from anywhere else.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 06:35:30 pm »
Genetics, feeding and hygiene are the three main reasons for goaty cheese.  In France goats were bred for their "flavoursome" milk for cheese.  Quite a few foods taint the milk, cabbage being a good example and poor hygiene is a big factor in tainting milk.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 07:29:30 pm »
Genetics, feeding and hygiene are the three main reasons for goaty cheese.  In France goats were bred for their "flavoursome" milk for cheese.  Quite a few foods taint the milk, cabbage being a good example and poor hygiene is a big factor in tainting milk.

Just checked packaging; it says "Made in France".  So many other French goat cheeses I have tried (including others from Tesco) have been so good, so I reckon, Buttermilk, that Tesco must have gone for the cheapest French producer they could find for this product and reckoned that a bit of cream would take the edge off rank.  They were wrong!   

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 08:57:47 am »
Buttermilk's comment reminds me of a 'seeing practice' job I had as a student 55yrs ago in Norfolk. Local large dairy run by a cheapskate who fed his cattle on anything cheap he could get from the local cannery until the day all the customers complained about tainted milk 'cos he'd fed the herd on grapefruit rind..

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 10:52:48 am »
We've tried a few goat cheeses here and found the taste varies from OK to absolutely terrible. One we were given stank so badly when opened that it went straight outside, in a sealed bag, to the bin- that brand was supposed to be a great delicacy! We were told that if a Billy was anywhere near, his scent would get into the milk and be intensified in the cheese making process. Whether that's true I don't know.

Try Brebis, which is ewe's milk cheese. We've tried a dozen or so in the search for a replacement for English Cheddar and they vary from amazing to a hint of bitterness. Speciality of the Pyrenees. Now they sell English Cheddar in the supermarket- very expensive and not a patch on Brebis.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 06:48:45 pm »
Now, if we can have a cheddar flavour strength rating system, why not a goat cheese flavour rating.  Any suggestions for 1 to 5 descriptions ??   :)

My suggestion for no. 5 is "Billy" strength:  I bet that would then be absent from supermarket shelves (one can only hope)  :D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 06:50:56 pm by arobwk »

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 08:16:59 am »
Surprisingly some people love strong flavoured cheese.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 05:39:51 pm »

The thing is, of course, that we have not (yet) been genetically homogenized to have identical taste-bud reactions. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 11:22:38 pm »

Many, many moons ago I used to get my cheese at the weekend from the cheese stall in the excellent Luton indoor market.

I’d hear them call, as they saw me approach, “Sally’s on her way, unchain her Brie!”  There was one time they’d had to put it in a dish, it wouldn’t stay on a plate... :yum:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS