Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs went to slaughter  (Read 1759 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Pigs went to slaughter
« on: October 02, 2019, 02:57:00 pm »
 :'(
I felt alright about it this morning. Dropped off at the abbatoir. Husband feels really guilty - he was closer to them than me. He says he won’t do it again. I felt bad when I came back and looked in their pen and could see all their little trotter holes in the mud. And when we opened the trailer and could see the two depressions in the straw where they’d been laid.
Hope we can bring ourselves to eat the meat now!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Pigs went to slaughter
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 03:31:46 pm »
Your not alone - Idon't mind admitting that I shed a tear after taking my first two pigs..

But.. pigs and boxes or meat are very different things. The meat will taste very different from any shop brought pork and you know that your pigs have had happy lives, so hopefully that will compensate for the terrible feeling your having now..

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 05:41:41 pm »
When we got our first home pork I sid a pork fest, liver, choos, belly strips, you name it. Put i all on a plate.  Other half lookd at is mournfully then appetite took the better of him. Never looked back......

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 08:31:12 pm »
Picking up the sausages and joints tomorrow. Got to wait for the bacon. I asked husband if he wanted roast pork on Sunday and got a resounding “no”! I think he’s definitely against doing it again and wants a breeding sow instead! I just hope he finds his appetite as I’m not that big on pork (although maybe that’ll change if it’s as good as everyone says?) My current fear is that when we go to get it it doesn’t look like much as I know he’ll say it was a waste of their lives. Fingers crossed it all turns out alright.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 08:08:07 pm »
Well we had two big bags of sausages (14kg!) and six bags of quarter pigs (shoulders, legs, and chops). The other half went for bacon which we have to go back for. Overall they were 141kg on the hook.
The guy said they were really nice pigs and we’d done a good job which made it all a bit better, as if we hadn’t done a good job it would have seemed a waste of their lives. Fit nicely in our chest freezer with room to spare. Definitely stocked up for the “worst winter in 30 years” they’re predicting (as they do every year!)
Now I better start looking for some recipes to make the most of it all...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS