Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How to get a sheep’s weight without scales  (Read 3372 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
How to get a sheep’s weight without scales
« on: September 30, 2019, 09:23:14 am »
Are there any formulas you can follow? I know there’s a measurement formula for pigs, is there anything similar for sheep?
Don’t want to underdose as this would be pointless but not sure on the issues with overdosing (this is for Fasinex fluke treatment). I know with the Clik it said there weren’t any known side effects from applying more than the given weight dose. I’m also sure I read you dose all according to the biggest sheep’s weight?
I’ve been looking for sheep scales for ages. Either too far away or they’re broken or they’re too expensive. I only have 30-odd sheep at the moment. The Badgers we could probably weigh holding them on bathroom scales (me holding them up and minusing my weight) but wouldn’t work with the Radnors!!
Sorry for all the questions all the time.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: How to get a sheep’s weight without scales
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 10:05:52 am »
Find out the rough mature weight for the breed you have. As far as I know there isn’t a tape or formula to use. We invested in a set of scales 2 years ago not cheap but used every 2 weeks recording lamb weight best thing we’ve bought for the sheep equipment wise.

Fasinex 5% dose is 2ml per 10 kg, I dose my lleyns to 75kg so 15ml.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 02:17:36 pm »
Do you dose the same across the board? I mean would you do your 15ml dose for all? I’m sure I read somewhere about dosing as per the heaviest weight.
I’d love some scales but they are hard to come by. Not sure how much they are brand new or whether I could swallow the cost at the moment, but as you say they’d be pretty handy for lambs. Someone we know says we can borrow theirs but don’t think that’s too practical!!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 02:45:07 pm »
Whilst a set of scales are not essential for keeping sheep they are what my mother used to describe as "A necessary luxury".

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 02:54:26 pm »
Do you dose the same across the board? I mean would you do your 15ml dose for all? I’m sure I read somewhere about dosing as per the heaviest weight.
I’d love some scales but they are hard to come by. Not sure how much they are brand new or whether I could swallow the cost at the moment, but as you say they’d be pretty handy for lambs. Someone we know says we can borrow theirs but don’t think that’s too practical!!

Yes all the ewes had a 75kg dose. Mature lleyns weigh 60-70kg. The rams and lambs get a different dose obviously.

Yellow group wormers have a smaller margin for overdose I think, but I still think you have to overdose 2-3 times more than what they should have in order for side effects. I only know that as I wormed one of my ewes at lambing this year and she had colic like symptoms so researched if I’d overdosed her  :roflanim:  luckily she was fine and I definitely hadn’t given her a double or triple dose by accident so not sure what happened there.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 04:40:34 pm »
I use the same system as for the goats, girthxgirthxlength, (inches), divide by 300, weight in pounds, not too far out for goats.
I use baleband so it 'cuts through' the fleece, but sometime knock a couple of inches off as well, then measure where I tied the knots.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 09:43:56 pm »
Ah okay. So I shouldn’t kill anything off unless I double or triple dose anything by accident!
I thought I’d read a formula somewhere but not sure how reliable it’d be. I guess I could try it out and see if it comes in anywhere near the official figure for the breed.
The most annoying thing is that the people we bought our place from had sheep scales, knew we were planning on keeping sheep, but sold them off instead of asking us if we’d like them! And sold them to a couple we subsequently met (which is how we found out they had some).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS