Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep in the rain :(  (Read 8063 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Sheep in the rain :(
« on: September 28, 2019, 10:01:31 pm »
So I know I always heard that it rains all the time in Wales, but recently it’s exceeded my expectations! I’m feeling really bad for the sheep. It’s just pummelling down and they only have trees to shelter under. The fields must be getting like bogs. Will they be okay?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Sheep in the rain :(
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 10:04:44 pm »
They should be fine, are there hedges in the field, if so they will use them for shelter. It’s not cold at the moment, just keep an eye out for scald which can be exacerbated in wet conditions.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 10:30:54 pm »
We provide field shelters for our sheep.  Made by planting 4 small strainers or 4 hefty stobs for corners, then slats for sides and a well tied on roof of corrugated iron, one side open for access.  It depends on how many sheep you have, but our shelters are not large.  They tend to shelter from heavy rain, but they love being out in snow and deep cold, sunshine, and wind.  Too much rain will damage the fleece and the feet.  At lambing time, ewes will sometimes lamb in these shelters, others lamb outside then bring the lambs in once the ewe has cleansed.
You could also use a simple lean-to if you have buildings.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 11:26:29 pm »
They'll be fine, our gritstone ewes are in a field with just dry stone wall for shelter and aren't bothered. The boys are in a fenced paddock with a field shelter that they use occasionally.

As mentioned watch for scald as our tup started showing signs of lameness yesterday and when checked this morning he has scald due to such wet weather :(

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 09:34:56 am »
They have tree lines but always worry about that too as branches come down. Sometimes it seems everything is rotten here!
There is a shelter in one field but that’s going to be out of use now as the field’s had it for the year. Otherwise there are a couple of thin pig arc type things, but only fit a couple under.
Will keep an eye out for scald. Our fields are still quite long in places (can’t top due to gradient). Hoping the sheep will catch it up over winter where it’s been let go by previous owners.
Feet are always a worry for us. Especially the Radnors. Last check there was a lot of shelly hoof - large pockets and the soft horn looking like it’s just disappearing. We footbathed them before and got zinc licks and mineral buckets out - not sure what else we can do.

Nelson International

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 09:46:33 am »
Two years ago when I talked about building a shelter for my sheep, the neighbour laughed and said 'they're Welsh mountain sheep, they're bred to be on a Welsh mountain'. I built one, anyway: the sheep wandered over to see what I was doing but have ignored it ever since.

We get quite a bit of shelly hoof, too, and apart from the odd case that needs cleaning out, we've never had anything that had caused any issues. I don't know if that's luck, low stock densities, or what, because it's definitely wet here. Touch wood.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 10:17:28 am »
My sheep have a shelter but ignore it, the only time its used is by the lambs, who hate the rain..

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 11:29:45 am »
Most sheep are well equipped to cope with the weather. Shelters can bring their own problems, ventilation, build up of droppings etc. They will find shelter under trees, behind walls, hedges, dips in the field. The key is having enough to eat when the weather is inclement. Hungry sheep will be cold.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 12:03:51 pm »
Two years ago when I talked about building a shelter for my sheep, the neighbour laughed and said 'they're Welsh mountain sheep, they're bred to be on a Welsh mountain'. I built one, anyway: the sheep wandered over to see what I was doing but have ignored it ever since.

We get quite a bit of shelly hoof, too, and apart from the odd case that needs cleaning out, we've never had anything that had caused any issues. I don't know if that's luck, low stock densities, or what, because it's definitely wet here. Touch wood.

Whereabouts are you? I actually Googled about the rain in Wales - apparently there are worse parts than where I am but migrating from England it seems hard to believe! I wouldn’t mind so much but I’m obviously a bit soft about the sheep. Both our breeds are hill/Welsh Mountain but when it pummels down as it does sometimes I feel so bad for them! As I said, soft!
Do you just leave your shelly hoof as it is? Packing it doesn’t seem to make much sense as I imagine the horn would just regrow around the pack instead of having a chance to grow normally. And I’m not brave enough to start trimming up the sides of the pockets as I’m worried about ruining the support!
Anyhow, I guess I won’t rush out and start trying to build anything!

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 04:48:33 pm »
The boys are enjoying theirs this afternoon as it has done nothing but tip it down  :raining:

Nelson International

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 10:49:42 pm »

Whereabouts are you? I actually Googled about the rain in Wales - apparently there are worse parts than where I am but migrating from England it seems hard to believe! I wouldn’t mind so much but I’m obviously a bit soft about the sheep. Both our breeds are hill/Welsh Mountain but when it pummels down as it does sometimes I feel so bad for them! As I said, soft!
Do you just leave your shelly hoof as it is? Packing it doesn’t seem to make much sense as I imagine the horn would just regrow around the pack instead of having a chance to grow normally. And I’m not brave enough to start trimming up the sides of the pockets as I’m worried about ruining the support!
Anyhow, I guess I won’t rush out and start trying to build anything!

We're halfway up one of the Cardiff valleys. It rains plenty here, for sure.

I don't do anything to my sheep's feet unless one of them is lame - so far that's always turned out to be shelly hoof as best I can tell - in that case I pick it out and then trim if there's anything really obviously problematic (I've found a penknife to be way better than dedicated trimming shears) but mostly do as little intervention as I can.

Their hooves often look a bit of a sight, but they're designed for walking on not photographing and as long as they're not having a problem with lameness I figure meddling with them can't really help.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 09:00:42 am »
I don't do anything to my sheep's feet unless one of them is lame - so far that's always turned out to be shelly hoof as best I can tell - in that case I pick it out and then trim if there's anything really obviously problematic (I've found a penknife to be way better than dedicated trimming shears) but mostly do as little intervention as I can.

I have Shelly hoof here too, its not usually a problem in the winter, for me its the summer months when its worse, I'm on clay and when its dry the small particles pack into the cavities and the pressure makes the sheep lame. I pick it out and trim the jhoof wall to prevent impaction happening again. It usually grows out fine then. I tend to leave feet well alone, plenty of scald in the lambs which is the most irritating!

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 09:15:54 am »
Yes, I always think they look a complete mess and whilst it hasn’t impeded them getting about I worry about what I should be doing with them. I’m on clay too - bone dry and cracking one minute and thick and sticky the next. A real change to the Wiltshire soil I’ve been used to!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 12:55:47 pm »
Sheep love a bit of hard standing, be it a concrete area you can keep swept, or a pile of rocks.  We don't have any local rock at the surface, so when we did some building work on the house we piled up the unwanted rocks.  All the sheep play on the pile and it's great for their feet.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2019, 01:10:19 pm »
My boys use the pony field shelter all the time, rain, snow, sunshine and to get away from the flies. The ponies would even share it with them .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS