Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding lines  (Read 1014 times)

Missy

• Joined Jul 2017
Breeding lines
« on: September 25, 2019, 09:06:57 am »
I keep coloured Ryeland sheep and dont want to sell the ram but need to get some more bloodlines in.

I have found 2 ewes but how closely related can they be to my ram as these 2 have his bloodlines.

Unless there is anyone local to south east that have 4 shearlings or lambs?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Breeding lines
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 11:49:00 am »
Personally having the same bloodlines wouldn't worry me too much - within reason. How closely related are the Ram and these 2 ewes?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Breeding lines
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 01:21:57 pm »
This is only important if you are breeding your sheep to sell breeding stock, rather than breeding them primarily for meat.  We try to have only a max of one shared ancestor per pedigree record of parent, grandparent and great grandparent.  Some times it happens that there are two, but ideally there should be none at that degree of proximity.  There is line breeding but that is usually done by breeders who know their genetics and are attempting to fix a particular trait - there will be 'wastage' at that level ie where inbreeding has a negative effect, so it's risky.
As a general rule, siblings, parents and grandparents should not be bred together
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS