Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fluke treatment  (Read 3665 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Re: Fluke treatment
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2019, 11:55:04 am »
Are you sure they actually need worming? Adult ewes shouldn’t need routine worming, unless it’s at lambing when their immunity drops. It’s better to buy separates then you can use them independent of each other and prevent wormer resistance

It was the vet that suggested worming after they’ve lambed. Otherwise I’m not planning any routine worming and will get FEC done first. I thought as the next general time to fluke them would be spring that a combi would do the job and save on time/money.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2019, 12:03:09 pm »
Yes agreed, just means that you’re restricted to using that product when you need to fluke and worm, rather than being able to use it in autumn for example to worm lambs that would need a triclabendazole drench as well, or worm any thin ewes that fec shows need a drench.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2019, 08:34:53 pm »
Ah okay, I think I see your point. Sometimes I will just need a wormer as opposed to both, or there’ll be times that I need to worm and fluke but a triclabendazole based product would be preferable. So (stupid question alert...) if I do them all with the fluke treatment, can I then do the wormer at the same time??
Also, is the point of switching active ingredients to try and limit resistance? I’ve read about the different colours and varying degrees of resistance but not fully sure what it means.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 08:45:41 pm by tommytink »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 09:01:28 pm »
Are you sure they actually need worming? Adult ewes shouldn’t need routine worming, unless it’s at lambing when their immunity drops. It’s better to buy separates then you can use them independent of each other and prevent wormer resistance

It was the vet that suggested worming after they’ve lambed. Otherwise I’m not planning any routine worming and will get FEC done first. I thought as the next general time to fluke them would be spring that a combi would do the job and save on time/money.

You are doing the right thing by getting egg counts done. You can then get the appropriate wormer if a wormer is needed. Combination wormer/fluke has contributed to resistance so better to avoid. You can check monthly fluke and worm levels at nadis.org.uk. Also check local hotspots with your vet and local farmers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS