Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wooly sheep  (Read 1496 times)

Nfharris

• Joined Sep 2019
Wooly sheep
« on: September 21, 2019, 07:14:57 pm »
We have recently got a Valais Blacknose ewe only 6 months old. Had her sheared and after noticed she has some bold spots down to baby soft skin. One she keeps rubbing so does look red treated with usual iodine and blue spray any other suggestions ? If I stroke her I can pull some fuzzy wool off ???? she isn’t itchy anywhere else and we have used crovect as a precaution ... any other suggestions ? Could it be from shearing? Many thanks in advance ...

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Wooly sheep
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 09:13:47 am »
Sorry missed this , so probably all is ok by now if not and still rubbing or turning and nibbling then speak to your vet as it could be Scab which needs a different treatment .

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 02:19:45 pm »
Just wondering why you would shear a 6 month old lamb? :thinking:

It's usually done for poor lambs that aren't growing well, as it encourages them to eat more and fatten faster. But surely you have got this one for breeding and to grow on at a normal rate?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 03:18:22 pm »
Some commercial flocks shear ewe lambs in august and then tup in oct  they claim that they grow better , Romneys were always clipped as lambs in the autumn that's why the wool board has a price for lambs wool

Nfharris

• Joined Sep 2019
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 10:53:37 pm »
Thank you for replies.
The particular breed she is they need shearing twice a year.

She hasn’t been itchy and her fleece is growing back ???????????? I spoke to a lady who has owned them for a few years and apparently it can be stress as they don’t like being sheared on their backs ... so who knows - but thank you for replies

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS