Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding sugarbeet  (Read 2221 times)

Dragon

• Joined Aug 2019
Feeding sugarbeet
« on: September 20, 2019, 09:21:30 am »
 :wave:

I see quite a lot of people feeding sugar beet to their goats.  I know this may seem a silly question but do you soak the sugarbeet first.

The reason I ask is that I do feed it to my horses in the form of Speedibeet which comes in flakes and only needs 10 or so minutes of soaking before feeding.  Is this the same for my goats or can it be fed dry?  And also what sort of quantity for 5 month old GG wethers and girls.

Thanks in anticipation!  :eyelashes:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Feeding sugarbeet
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 11:53:28 am »
A regular question Dragon, I feed pellets so like to soak, some don't soak,
with flakes I wouldn't bother, just make sure you don't feed too much at once, considering how much it may swell in the stomach.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 12:05:38 pm »
I feed shreds, but do put some boiling water on it just before I leave the house (it's about 100m or so to goathouse). Then fed immediately while still warm. They love it, especially in winter. So barely soaked, mine do NOT eat it when slushy, but also not dry either.

In this this slightly damp state it is also great use for adding any sprinkles of things you may need to add in the form of minerals etc. (mine get a sprinkle of seaweed granules and a wee scoop of linseed meal).
I have also found that they really love a splash of olive oil on it... but then I do spoil my lot rotten (and they milk well too).

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 01:11:13 pm »
My boers ate speedy beet soaked but were not to keen
Prefer shreads dry mixed with concentate  or on its own
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 01:13:07 pm by mart6 »

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 02:21:14 pm »
I wouldn't feed it at all to wethers. They will get fat on hay and grass alone!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dragon

• Joined Aug 2019
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 02:53:20 pm »
That's great, thanks everyone for your input  :goat: :horse: :thumbsup:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 01:00:10 am »
I hadn't noticed wethers mentioned.
Isn't there a risk of urinary calculi when feeding SB to wethers?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:52:01 pm by Penninehillbilly »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 07:15:42 am »
I hadn't noticed watchers mentioned.
Isn't there a risk of urinary calculi when feeding SB to wethers?
Not really - but it would be advisable not to overdo it, make sure they drink plenty (I give my males warm water all year round) and if you are in a hard water area either use some cider vinegar in their drinking water or feed a specific supplement, the name of which just escapes me at this early hour.... feeding lots of concentrate is actually more of a risk.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 12:07:28 am »
I used pellets with my goats and soaked it but found that pouring boiling water on the pellets an hour before I was going to feed them was  enough and they enjoyed it slightly warm. I mixed their concentrates in with it because mine did like wet food.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS