Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making grape juice  (Read 3996 times)

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Making grape juice
« on: September 19, 2019, 03:18:15 pm »
has anyone made grape juice using a press?  I have a bladder press we use for juicing apples and want to use that in the hope that it will be less labour intensive than steaming.  Do you need to break open the grapes before using the press and do you need to strain or do any other processing of the resulting juice before bottling it and then pasteurising it?

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Making grape juice
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 12:41:16 am »
Got my grape juice for my wine  using my sterile hands to break the grapes  once they had had a 2 minute sulphite soak to sterilise them .
 Left them c/w any stems in their juices for three days ,   poured off the juice into a sterile  container then crushed a hand full of what was left at a time to ensure almost  total juice extraction .  Out of the 20 litre stainless steel  bucket of black grapes I had 480 grams of waste .

So pre crush but don't crush the seeds , steep in their own  juice in a covered container for three days and then  put the grapes through your press to get maximum juice but don't crush the seeds for it makes the juice bitter . 
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS