Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bloody immature chickens  (Read 4255 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
bloody immature chickens
« on: October 18, 2010, 03:22:52 pm »
I'm keeping around 20 birds. I'm getting 1 egg a day!
I have a mite problem, then a secondary infection but seem to be on top of this now.
What's confusing me is that we had chicks hatch this time last year. None of them have red comb yet - I'm told this is a sign of maturity and a good sign that they are laying. I'm sick of feeding these feeking things and them giving me nothing in return.
Now where's my gun...?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: bloody immature chickens
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 03:48:53 pm »
Now, Shrek, BEHAVE!!! ;D ;D ;D  They're only ickle babies. ;)  What breed are the one year olds?  Maybe it's a slow maturing breed?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 04:24:44 pm »
Or maybe they're all cockerels  :o ;D ;D
Our hens are hardly laying at the moment as they are all moulting and looking pathetic, especially in the rain today.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bamford6

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 04:56:23 pm »
iff they have the right light food etc and they are 6 months old they will lay .so Meany people have this problem iff you got some black rocks they will lay all yere  round with the cost off feed you need some think back for you're trouble ,im selling all hens in the next sale some are worth big money chocklate split or pingtons etc and replacing with black rock .you need a team off 12 for the house thats £4 pound a day and you will get 4 or 5 in the winter .the quail lay over 40 a day still better bet les feed no hassle .iv got 250 hens rare breeds they lay 18 at the moment .the black rock still going .the feed you feed is 11 pound a bag so you need good stock

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 08:05:24 pm »
Our hens are hardly laying at the moment as they are all moulting and looking pathetic, especially in the rain today.
Mine too  :( and the wee 'pet' one has discovered she can break out the run - but can't figure how to get back in, I think she secretly likes being rescued !  ;D

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 08:12:52 pm »
we have 6 hybrids and so far have been brilliant had them nearly two years and have never had less than 4 eggs a day all year round!! that is the advantage of hybrids i suppose!  ;) ;D

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 08:20:30 pm »
anyone had a bantam crowing at three weeks. it was a surprise when he started.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 09:08:32 pm »
they are not cocks. they get chicken spice and seeweed added to the food and water. they get loads of veggies from the garden and layers pellets and grit and I'm running out of bloody ideas. As Bamford says the food is expensive and what's the point of keeping the damn things if they are not laying.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 09:29:56 pm »
What on earth is this £11 a bag stuff?  I feed mine on layers pellets - £5 odd a bag.  The warrens laid all year last (first year) and the Black Rocks, Bluebell and White Sussex are still laying now as the nights draw in.  Warrens have stopped though, they are 18 months old which is the same age as the others. Is food cheaper here, or  should I be feeding something else?

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 09:43:27 pm »
Exactly how old are they......
What breed are they....
When did you acquire them....
What infection/disease did they have....
When did it start.....
When were you absolutely sure it had cleared up.....

These are essential question/answers before one can begin to think of problems/advice.

Or maybe like a friend of mine   -  "Look - when I complain about something I don't want advice on how to make it better - I just want some *****  sympathy"  ;D ;D ::) ;D

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 09:11:37 am »
What Sue says.  ;)

Are you sure they aren't laying somewhere else? And then eggs being eaten by some predator?

Or if they have had Infectious bronchitis, I have heard that can (permanently) interfere with their laying mechanism.

Or if they are too well fed, they won't lay, just get fat?

Also you can check their rear end to see if they are 'in lay' the pelvic bones of an 'in lay' hen are different than if they are not 'in lay' - but I can't remember what to look for in that case! :)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 09:22:04 am »
It's the width between the pelvic bones. If two fingers or more wide it is a sure indication that they are laying. Whatever thr breed they should be laying by now, I would think.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 09:40:03 am »
All mine have stopped laying and I can't work out why. A chicken farmer told me I was over feeding so I have cut back drastically. still no eggs but a lot less poo!

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 01:29:22 pm »
Ours have stopped as well,we have about 100 chickens and are getting 3 eggs a day at the moment.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 02:45:55 pm »
A torrid time is being had by all it seems...  My originals were cracking layers but now down to 2 if we're lucky out of 10 birds.  My RIRs are at POL/past POL now but I don't think they'll come into lay until the spring now.  Annoying but something we just have to deal with.  My others will be coming up to POL over the winter so hopefully an abundance of eggs awaits in the new year!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS