Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scouring pig  (Read 2666 times)

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
Scouring pig
« on: September 16, 2019, 03:00:56 pm »
Hi,
I’m a little worried about one of my recently arrived weaners. She was initially okay but after being on site for a couple of weeks she has been scouring for the last few days. She appears to be fit and healthy otherwise being active, eating and drinking normally. The other weaner is fit and healthy and does not suffer from the same symptoms. Both are homed on a 1/2 acre enclosure and are actively rooting this up to oblivion????????.
Any advice from the wealth of experience out there is appreciated ????
Don’t take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Scouring pig
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 04:38:36 pm »
If she seems ok in herself then it is probably too much food or a change of food. If the scour is smelly or contains blood then you need the vet. The main thing is to make sure she drinks plenty. When were they last wormed?

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 05:52:48 pm »
If she seems ok in herself then it is probably too much food or a change of food. If the scour is smelly or contains blood then you need the vet. The main thing is to make sure she drinks plenty. When were they last wormed?

Hi, no smelly or bloody scour. She seems to be drinking well , they have a large drinking bowl with water changed daily and a back up barrel with a nipple drinker. They were wormed on collection 2 weeks ago. Must admit she is a greedy beggar to the point I have to feed them in separate bowls cos she bullies the other bigger pig :thinking: :thinking:

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 09:59:49 am »
Hi all, before we called in a vet we decided to dose the pigs drinking water with apple cider vinegar, something we have used with other livestock with great effect. Hurray! Within two days no more messy bottom or scours. Hopefully this has cured it....we’ll wait and see, but early results look promising :excited:

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 05:05:03 pm »
If it does comeback try and get hold of some Spectam. It's good for stopping them scour
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 06:57:51 pm »
If it does comeback try and get hold of some Spectam. It's good for stopping them scour

Many thanks for the info, if nothing else it’s another bit of ammunition to deal with scours.... knowledge with anything to do with pigs is invaluable to us newbies  :dunce:

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 12:50:57 pm »
knowledge with anything to do with pigs is invaluable to us newbies  :dunce:

Every day is a learning day with pigs. Even after years of looking after them lol

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 05:41:18 pm »
knowledge with anything to do with pigs is invaluable to us newbies  :dunce:

Every day is a learning day with pigs. Even after years of looking after them lol

Small holding in general is. Went to feed pigs today to find cow pats everywhere :thinking: .looks like the farmers young bullocks had paid us a visit :roflanim: He’d obviously retrieved them and repaired the fence. No damage done so I say hay ho! I think I may be partially to blame ...me rattling the pig feed bucket at feed time was an obvious draw :roflanim:

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 07:56:25 pm »
Poor old pig was looking really unwell this afternoon ,the scourging has returned with a vengeance. Off her food and looking like a cowed dog. Called in the vet and after much chasing around the field we caught her and was given a dose of anti inflammatory stuff and a dose of antibiotics.... my turn to give her the remaining injections , should be fun! Especially since she’s a little bit wary of me now. Any tips on catch and inject appreciated :roflanim:

Jonah by nature

• Joined Jun 2019
  • Torquay
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 10:54:03 am »
So very glad I called in the vet! Pig is back eating, rooting in the paddock as if nothing had happened. Wifey is assisting in administering the next injection. Should be fun, the pig has forgiven me for yesterday and let me do all the usual piggy bonding and ear scratching etc this morning. :innocent:

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 05:18:54 pm »
Glad your pig is up and about again. If it's an infection i'd have a look at your bio-security and give everything a good clean.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS