Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: free range pork  (Read 1322 times)

valmet10

• Joined Mar 2016
free range pork
« on: September 06, 2019, 07:58:53 pm »
we're just about to sending  some pigs in for slaughter , what are people charging for half a pig .

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Re: free range pork
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 07:27:01 am »
Usually around £130 max as very much aware that though it's intensive, pork cheaper in supermarkets and I only have 2 customers!! 1 potential customer backed out when she realised she could buy the equivalent amount from Lidl for a good £50 cheaper and she's feeding hungry lads! However, at the end of the day, if you're selling, as long as most of the costs are covered and you get to eat some then all should be fine.
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Hogwarts

• Joined Sep 2019
Re: free range pork
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 05:51:26 pm »
Usually around £130 max as very much aware that though it's intensive, pork cheaper in supermarkets and I only have 2 customers!! 1 potential customer backed out when she realised she could buy the equivalent amount from Lidl for a good £50 cheaper and she's feeding hungry lads! However, at the end of the day, if you're selling, as long as most of the costs are covered and you get to eat some then all should be fine.

Did you tell her that your pigs would taste  better and the welfare conditions they were kept in were x10 better not to mention all the other positive differences. I hope you did because theres a big difference between a traditionally raised pig and what is sold in the likes of lidl.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS