Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Land & Buildings Transaction Tax (SDLT) on a Smallholding  (Read 1995 times)

toquark

• Joined Jul 2019
Land & Buildings Transaction Tax (SDLT) on a Smallholding
« on: July 19, 2019, 02:17:37 pm »
Hi folks,

Been lurking on the forum for a couple of years now and we're finally in a position to make an offer on a smallholding near us. The place is made up of a farmhouse, outbuildings and c.20ac. Not sure how HMRC will treat it - is it a 'mixed' use property (and subject to the lower tax band) or would it be residential and subject to the higher band and therefore not sure how much to set aside pre purchase. The difference is pretty significant and may affect our ability to purchase.

Does anyone have any experience of buying a smallholding in Scotland since April 2015 and if so how was it treated for tax purchases?

Any help much appreciated!

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
Re: Land & Buildings Transaction Tax (SDLT) on a Smallholding
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 02:15:32 pm »
May not be much help but we purchased in Walesbin 2018 and the land counts as mixed use and we were taxed as such

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Land & Buildings Transaction Tax (SDLT) on a Smallholding
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 11:33:05 am »
Your lawyer should know - its correct name is The Land and Buildings Transaction Tax (LBTT) is a tax applied to residential and commercial land and buildings transactions (including commercial purchases and commercial leases) where a chargeable interest is acquired.
It's all here - https://www.gov.scot/policies/taxes/land-and-buildings-transaction-tax/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS