Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockerel wanted  (Read 3826 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Cockerel wanted
« on: October 16, 2010, 09:28:34 pm »
I am looking for a young cockerel to go in with a batch if females from this summers hatch. They are crosses, but I would like either one of the following (must be purebred though) in order of preference: 1) Maran (any kind), 2) RIR 3) Lt SSX.

We stay in the Scottish Borders and I can collect within reasonable distance.

Anke.

Croftgary

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Aberdour,Fife
Re: Cockerel wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 05:39:33 pm »
I have 5 if you want 1 or all, near Aberdour just over the bridge.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 05:50:06 pm »
I've got a light sussex (free to good home) I'm a wee bit further away though. Lesmahagow, South Lanarkshire, but please let me know if it's not too far.
Karen x

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 07:26:19 pm »
I have two  ftgh, 12/13 weeks old

one Light Sussex
One Maran lookalike (LS x scotsdumpy)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 08:04:52 pm »
Oh, wow - three offers!

I think the one from happyhippy sounds good, as I am in New Lanark for a lunch next Sunday (24/10), so would not be too much further to go round afterwards - if Sunday late afternoon would be ok to pick up? Will pm you too.

Thanks for the offers! Anke

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 08:47:17 pm »
Late afternoon on Sunday is fine  ;D
I can meet you in or around Lanark if you want, it's only 20 mins or so from the house. Or if you fancy exploring the countryside you're very welcome to come and witness the madness that is my life ! There's always a cuppa waiting and plenty of piglets to cuddle  ;) ;D
Forgot to say the cockerel is 6 months old - hope that's okay ?
Karen

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 09:18:16 pm »
Hi Karen, yes 6 months would be ok, as my hens hatched in the first week of July (so are coming up for four months now), and I am now putting them into their own accommodation. I also have an older batch of hens that could have the cockerel for a few weeks, so he doesn't tread the young ones too early.

It would be better if I came across, as I don't know when the lunch finishes, so if you could pm me your postcode I can find directions easily (have all the OS maps of Scotland!).

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 09:27:30 pm »
Anke, I got a lovely cockerel from Happyhippy.  He is lovely, his name is Norman and he is very friendly.  Good Luck with your one.
Cheers Helen

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 01:49:23 am »
Hiya Helen
Glad to hear Norman has settled in well  ;D Me and my buying 'hens' at market episode lol! At least I've managed to rehome most of them, thanks to TAS forum  ;)

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 07:12:32 am »
i too got a cockerel from happyhippy...his name is christopher. he's a nice boy, and chatters happily when you are nearby.

however, i recently purchased 4 hens from my neighbour, which he gave me for £20 if i took the 8 youngsters with them, now that they are getting older (not sure of their age!) i think 4 of them are cocks.......anyone want a cockerel?  ;D

not complaining mind, christopher is easily the most handsome chap, i think the others will go in the pot
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 09:40:36 am »
Tazbabe, I'm glad to hear Christopher's still doing well, ruling the roost by the sound of it  ;)
I really must make more of an effort when naming my animals - Rocky the rooster just doesn't sound quite as impressive as Norman or Christopher  ;D ;D ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 07:53:43 pm »
Well my girls have decided to name the cockerel that just arrived (and they haven't seen him yet - he was put straight away into his new house) - Rufus! No idea where the name came from, but I think it will stick!!!!

Thanks Karen, I think he will be ok.

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 10:09:46 pm »
Thank you Anke, for giving him a home (and me some of the best honey I've ever tasted !  :yum:)
Hope all goes well and feel free to pop in again if you're ever passing - there's always a cuppa to be had  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS