Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaned lamb feeding from mum again!  (Read 1454 times)

lesbri

• Joined Apr 2013
Weaned lamb feeding from mum again!
« on: August 22, 2019, 10:07:13 am »
Ive put my lambs from this year back with their mums until Im ready to send the boys off (March born lambs). They were weaned off their mums in July and kept apart for 3/4 weeks while the mums dried off, then all put back in the same field. Ive got 1 ewe lamb who still suckles briefly and occasionally from her mum, she's the only one that does this.

My question is, is this going to be a problem come tupping time as Im planning on tupping both mum and daughter (daughter is at least, if not bigger than mum now)? Will it stop mum from cycling? (they are both in good condition). Mum and daughter are zwartble x ryeland.
Thanks for any thoughts on this  :wave:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Weaned lamb feeding from mum again!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 04:56:33 pm »
Should be ok ,only problem might be mastitis  ( august bag ) from black flies as the teat /teats  may no longer be sealed

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 12:55:40 am »
Does anyone know where the myth about lactating stopping ovaries producing eggs comes from?  Doesn’t work in humans.  Doesn’t work in cattle.  Doesn’t work in sheep.  And yet, people still ask.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 08:51:21 am »
Don't know ,but  the big cats on the tv  come into season after new pride males kill all the cubs ???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS