Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding Goats on Pasture  (Read 1227 times)

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
Feeding Goats on Pasture
« on: August 22, 2019, 09:52:47 am »
Hello,

We currently have a milking nanny and her two kids being fed 2lbs of dairy nuts per day. She is also out on pasture, with plenty of browse and clover. I'm considering getting two more nannies to help keep the pasture down, as it is far too large for just the one. However, I would not be milking these two and would let them rear their kids themselves. My question is whether they would need additional hard feed, and if so how much, with unlimited pasture/hay. Breeds I am considering are GG's, Anglo Nubians or just cross breeds. Any thoughts appreciated.

Zyg

• Joined Nov 2018
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Feeding Goats on Pasture
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 12:36:53 pm »
We have a dozen goats that are out on pasture and are also helping keep down brambles, nettles and other random vegetation.
We give them some molychop and a bit of goat mix in the evening and I wonder if we need to as they come in from the field looking like they are about to give birth to quins!
We milk 4 of them, the rest are either too young or male.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Feeding Goats on Pasture
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 07:06:46 pm »
We had a goat slaughtered that was 18 months old. Only fed brambles, ivy, pasture grass and a handful of oats a day. And she was faaaaaaaaat!!!
She never gave birth and therefore was never milked however.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS