Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Arable land change of use to paddock  (Read 2512 times)

NFisk

• Joined Aug 2019
Arable land change of use to paddock
« on: August 13, 2019, 09:20:21 pm »
Hi
I’m looking for some advice with regards to changing land from arable to paddock. There is a piece of land that has come up for sale which is arable, I’m interested in buying the land only if I can change to paddock land. I have read that if you want to use the land for grazing and riding horses I will need to apply for change of use of the land. Does anyone have any experience of this and how likely it is to be approved or disapproved? And how I go about this before purchase?
Thank you.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Arable land change of use to paddock
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 02:11:19 pm »
Grazing horses is not a problem it is the riding of them that is.  I would go for the land and only apply for change of use on a small area which will be used for riding.  I would fence that area off from the rest so there is no doubt about which bit of land has land use change.

Some councils are worse than others.  Just make sure any jumps ect are in the small change of use bit of land.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 03:34:28 pm »
I would just buy it and not worry about change of use at all. Maybe buy a couple of sheep and cross graze with horses if your have an over-enthusiastic council or problem neighbour?

Be aware that you won't be the only one interested in the land and if you make too many enquiries and want for the answers you may miss it!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 04:20:32 pm »
You don't need planning to change arable land to grassland! It's still agricultural; as is grazing horses. Keeping horses on land is however technically not agricultural, as in them living on the land but needing further feed brought in eg in winter. But it is a fine distinction and even many planners are unaware of it and would need to keep a close check about whether you  were buying hay in or had actually made it on the land. Similarly they are unlikely to bother about you riding your horse there unless someone brings it to their attention or you build some large floodlit manege.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS