Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New born Lamb cold mouth now has stopped peeing  (Read 1538 times)

Zarakarl

• Joined Aug 2019
New born Lamb cold mouth now has stopped peeing
« on: August 10, 2019, 07:39:57 pm »
Hi there our ewe had triplets one was dead,one is fine and healthy,and one got cold very quickly he looked dead when he came out. We brought him inside and warmed him slowly. Hes had a full 24 hours of colostrum. Yesterday he was pooing(dark mucous poo) and slowly walking round. He was peeing but has not done another pee for about 12 hours. He was drinking yesterday but over night did not even baa. And this morning wont drink .

He has struggled to stand since born can get his back legs up but then walks on his front knees. If we stand him up he will walk slowly.

I'm wondering if he has brain damage or something ?

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Re: New born Lamb cold mouth now has stopped peeing
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 09:20:10 pm »
Hello.

Can’t offer much I’m afraid but can see you’ve had no replies so just wanted to post and suggest checking with a vet who should be able to give you some advice.

Good luck with him.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 09:55:39 pm »
I hope you have been able to get help from the vet?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 08:24:42 am »
I’m sorry none of us saw this the day you posted.  The forum is usually very good at listing new posts and many of us check at least once a day.

I’m guessing your lamb will have passed by now.  It sounds like he had a rough time in the womb.  There are often problems with triplets - they all try to get born at once, get muddled and stuck, one gets stressed and weak, then it blocks the birth canal, etc.

It’s so hard when you’ve worked hard to resuscitate them, but sometimes, between stress in the womb, birth trauma and delayed first feed, it’s for the best if they just slip away.   :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS