Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broken leg...  (Read 1912 times)

MelissaM

• Joined Aug 2019
Broken leg...
« on: August 08, 2019, 01:14:40 pm »
Hi all. We have a lamb (about 4months old) who got headbutted by our ram on Sunday. It’s a bottle fed “pet”. His back right leg is broken at the knee to the point it “dangles” we splinted it at the time but I don’t think it will heal. Since that  day he has Not walked or stood up, at all!! But he’s still eat and drinking, baa-ing and moving around a bit by pushing on his front legs and snuggling in for cuddle. Do I ...
a) let him keep going and see if he gets
Stronger and eventually stands (on 3 legs)
B) say my goodbyes ????
C) let him carry on his merry way just laying down all the time

Has anyone has a sheep stand after this length of time???
Thank you ????

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
Re: Broken leg...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 08:43:26 am »

A break iat the joint is very hard to fix or heal... take him to the vet who might remove the leg that is your choice but I’m sorry, I think he will be in terrible pain and you should says your goodbyes.  :(

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 09:34:11 am »
Have you spoken to the vet? Has he had any painkillers??  :-[   :-[  If not he has gone nearly a week without either which is not on. Apologies if he has had the vet and painkillers but you didn’t make clear in your post if he had or not.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 10:51:49 am »
Vet
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 12:15:10 pm »
I would of called a vet to PTS straight away with that injury I'm afraid.

Have you ever broken a limb, the pain is incredible - I suggest getting to a vet asap

Mel

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 06:47:39 pm »
Hi all. We have a lamb (about 4months old) who got headbutted by our ram on Sunday. It’s a bottle fed “pet”. His back right leg is broken at the knee to the point it “dangles” we splinted it at the time but I don’t think it will heal. Since that  day he has Not walked or stood up, at all!! But he’s still eat and drinking, baa-ing and moving around a bit by pushing on his front legs and snuggling in for cuddle. Do I ...
a) let him keep going and see if he gets
Stronger and eventually stands (on 3 legs)
B) say my goodbyes ????
C) let him carry on his merry way just laying down all the time

Has anyone has a sheep stand after this length of time???
Thank you ????

Seriously?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 10:44:32 pm »
a) - No
b) - Yes
c) - No

[member=195838]MelissaM[/member] You don't say anything about your set-up, or where you are, but those things are really irrelevant where the welfare of an animal is concerned. As the lamb's owner, whether you have just the one lamb, or a large flock, you are legally and morally responsible for that welfare, so you need to be certain that you know what you are doing before you keep animals, and where you can seek help quickly.
You might think some of our comments including this one are harsh, but, not deliberately I'm sure, you have caused this lamb agony by not acting promptly.  Sheep are prey animals and as such they try to disguise their pain so they don't attract predators, so you may not have realised the awful pain your lamb was experiencing.  With hindsight, you should have either taken him to the vet immediately, or if a vet was unavailable you should have shot him immediately.  If you don't have a suitable gun yourself, other stock keepers in the area will almost certainly be able to help.

<<< Has anyone has a sheep stand after this length of time??? >>>

I think you will find that question is unanswerable, as no-one will have left an animal in that state for that length of time.

You are new to the forum, but please don't be put off by our responses.  This is an excellent place to learn loads about animal care and welfare.  Forum members care deeply about their animals, as I'm sure you do too, so we want to help where we possibly can.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 10:49:14 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS