Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Itro; new lamb owner  (Read 1266 times)

Shelley419

• Joined Aug 2019
Itro; new lamb owner
« on: August 06, 2019, 11:00:44 am »
Hi, My name is Shelley and I live in Kaukapakapa, New Zealand.
I used to have sheep as a child on my parents farm, but have not owned one since then.
I have fond memories of feeding lambs and wanted to provide that for my own daughter.
(I probably shouldn't mention getting rammed by some of the more naughty sheep)

I got an abandoned male lamb from my neighbor on Saturday afternoon. Today is Tuesday night. The lanb has had colostrum for the first 24hours, I also added some probiotic on a friends advice. the next 24hour he has had a 50/50 mix of lamb replacer milk and colostrum. Now he still has a bit of colostrum but mostly milk replacer. Once the mix I have in the fridge runs out I don't plan to add anymore colostrum but might add some probiotic. So far he seems very alert and happy but I feel like his stools may be a bit to firm. Possibly I have the mix a little rich. I thought I might offer him some water in between feeds tomorrow. I have not done that yet. If they don't soften shall I try some olive oil? I have not weighed him so I'm not sure how much would be appropriate? I don't want to have him bunged up because I really don't know how to or want to give an enema.

He has been teething like crazy, particularly today, and I've read that they can nibble a little grass after a few days. I thought I might try him out on the grass tomorrow. He has been inside so far because the weather has been terrible.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Itro; new lamb owner
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 12:19:52 pm »
I've always found that following the instructiosn n the lamb milk replaced avoids most problems.

Shelley419

• Joined Aug 2019
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 12:38:10 am »
Aside from the probiotic, that was following instructions. Some people say you can add a probiotic yoghurt or buttermilk culture. What I had available was probiotic powder. I don't think the probiotic is the problem. I've started giving him some water in between the last couple of feeds and that seems to be softening his poo up.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 09:20:38 am »
Does he have fresh water available to him to drink in his pen?  I’ve never had to bottle feed water except when a lamb was sick, usually with diarrhoea.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 11:56:50 am »
Hi Shelley and welcome to TAS  :wave: from me in Scotland.   Sounds as if you are giving this lamb the care he needs just now.  Good luck with him. 
I'm sure you know that he will need company so soon you will have two lambs... :hugsheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS