Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it legal to sell meat on Facebook?  (Read 2839 times)

WelshGirl70

• Joined Jul 2019
Is it legal to sell meat on Facebook?
« on: August 04, 2019, 08:17:25 pm »
Recently noticed that someone is on Facebook selling boxes of pork, quarter and half pig boxes. He sells out very quickly. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions or legality that I need to consider to do this? The guy I’ve seen selling specifies that he delivers straight from butcher/Abbotoir all prepacked so I could do the same as our Abbotoir has its own butchery so will be doing it all. I would like to sell a half or even 3/4 of the pig and just keep 1/4 for myself every few months so that I don’t have to store loads for a long time, I just don’t want to do something that is going to land me in trouble.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Is it legal to sell meat on Facebook?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 08:22:32 am »
I can't see any problem with people pre-ordering boxes of meat and then having them delivered by you direct from the abbatoir? I think the problems would arise if you got them back and split/repackaged them at home. Storing the meat would also be an issue I think.

Someone with more experience will coment shortly I imagine.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Is it legal to sell meat on Facebook?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 05:18:48 pm »

Unless you have a refrigerated vehicle then I would say you are falling foul of the regulations around selling meat to the public. They could of course collect their own direct from the butcher/abattoir or you could have the meat sent direct, at cost, from the abattoir.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS