Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What size trailer  (Read 1133 times)

Sprig

• Joined Nov 2018
What size trailer
« on: August 04, 2019, 08:11:04 pm »
I need to collect 30 Wiltshire horns and was wondering what size trailer I would need. I will need to hire one. Alternatively I may book a haulier. They are less than an hour away, does anyone have a ball park figure of what I could expect to pay? Thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: What size trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 11:05:29 pm »
We used to get 20 fat lambs - just - in one level of the twin axle Ivor Williams.  (Look up the DP120.) So you’d need the double deck version for 30 ewes. 

If you’ve a nearby sheep farmer you might find s/he would fetch them for you for a consideration.  Or know of someone locally who would.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sprig

• Joined Nov 2018
Re: What size trailer
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 12:54:08 pm »
Thanks Sally. I asked another forum and the consensus was that 10ft with decks would be fine. I am actually getting someone else to move them now as I was worried about being over weight in my tow car.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS