Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mixing horned and non horned sheep  (Read 2835 times)

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
Mixing horned and non horned sheep
« on: July 26, 2019, 06:08:56 am »
Is it safe to mix horned sheep (ewes) with non horned in a small flock? We are gradually selling off our coloured Ryelands to move over to Jacobs but there are a couple of the CRs that I’m too fond of to send off to market as culls so thought about just keeping them if no one wants them as pets but only if they could run with Jacobs? Thanks for advice?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Mixing horned and non horned sheep
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 08:10:34 am »
They can run with them except when you’re feeding.  Then they will be bullied.

We do have a few horned sheep still, and do feed everyone together, but always feed across lots of trough space over several troughs, and plenty of feed so that bottom sheep can still get some when everyone else has finished.  But I’m not sure I’d be happy with a couple of polled amongst mainly horned...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 10:42:28 am »
I don't have any problems with my mixed flock. Even at feeding time.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 11:59:09 am »
As Harmony says - no problems with mixing horned with polled, even multihorned with spikes sticking upwards.  Ryelands have well-padded heads.  They might take a while to settle together, but if you get horned lambs to mix with older polled then all will be well.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 11:01:55 pm »
I’m now wondering whether you all feed your mixed flocks more generously than I do!  Lol.  Or perhaps I’ve just been unlucky with some of the horned individuals I’ve had :/
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 01:06:59 am »
I’m now wondering whether you all feed your mixed flocks more generously than I do!  Lol.  Or perhaps I’ve just been unlucky with some of the horned individuals I’ve had :/

We did once lose a very cheeky Shetland X Gotland lamb which annoyed a Jacob ewe at the feeding trough one day.  She used her top horns to fling the wee lamb away under his belly, and he died, presumably of internal injuries. Being polled was irrelevant there.
And a horribly aggressive shearling 2 horned tup lost an eye to a multihorned older tup in a fight instigated by the shearling.  He was destined for the pot before that happened but it just hastened his journey!  We don't keep aggressive stock. The mature tup had simply put his head down and the aggressive wee bleepbleep of a shearling ran straight onto the point - he picked the wrong victim for his attack   ::)      But that is horned v horned. 
When feeding we do make sure we have plenty of troughs, well spaced apart, but they don't get much.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 01:13:12 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 11:02:54 pm »
The only thing I would avoid is horned ram mixed in with a polled ram... Rams tussle and the polled ram could even be killed by a horned ram. I used to keep manx girls with my black welsh ewes and actually my black welsh always won any disputes despite lack of horns!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 10:11:31 am »
Rams tussle and the polled ram could even be killed by a horned ram.

We had this happen, outside the breeding season too.  It was late winter, so it could have been about access to hay, or to shelter.  (Although they had plenty of both.). So I do prefer to never have a horned tup with a polled tup now, no matter what time of year, if it’s possible. 

ilyria

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 04:00:21 pm »
We run a mainly horned flock and have no issues with running the horned and non horned sheep together.  The polled ewes seem to get to the food before the horned. Not had any issues with bullying between the ewes or the rams so far

steve_pr

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire Borders
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 07:48:19 pm »
We run Wiltshire Horns, Herdwicks and Coloured Ryelands and, outside the tupping period when they are with their respectve rams, they all share the same grazing at times with no problems at all. Actually it is quite funny, since generally speaking they will be in three distinct groups (lambs tend to mix more until mums tell them to stop fraternising!) and simply ignore each other. As has been said, plenty of trough space for feeding and there are no real problems. The coloured ryelands are quite willing to push a Wiltshire away, and a Herdwick simply climbs over the top (or through the legs) to get to the front. Never had an injury at all - they are more likely to fight with their own kind if they feel inclined.

I was very cautious about the rams, but over the past year have kept my mature rams together in the field with no problems (the lamb rams all go in together after weaning as a routine with no problems). As with the ewes they tend to stick to their own kind. We had 3 coloured ryeland rams weighing between 80 and 110kg and out Southdown teaser ram (wethered) at a 100kg and out wiltshire ram at 130kg so they could do each other a lot of damage.  Most of the barging is between the southdown and the ryelands but it never seems to come to anything other than a sore head. The Wiltshire just ignores it all and the other don't seem inclined to mess with him (neither will I to be honest - he is a real pussy cat once on a halter, but getting a halter on him is entirely down to his decision as to whether he wants to play ball!).

Bottom line, you will get a few tiffs between the different breeds but keep an eye on them for the first few days and be ready to pull out anyone who seems unusually aggressive. Perhaps I am lucky and mine are all fairly good natured. I was told to never put two wiltshire rams together, but I have four yearlings in the field at present and they get on very well together.

Never had any experience of anything with forward pointing horns and I could see how that could easily turn nasty. Persoally I am more wary of my wiltshire ewes, their horns end up pointing forwards at the bottom and they are just the right height to get you in the thigh! The rams are fine as soon as the double curl starts and takes the point more backwards facing.

Bottom line is I think it depends on the individual sheep concerned more than a specific horned vs non horned thing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS