Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flytrsike treatment - what to use other than Crovect?  (Read 2307 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Flytrsike treatment - what to use other than Crovect?
« on: July 24, 2019, 03:50:08 pm »
What do other people use to treat established flystrike. I have been using the Nettex Strike Plus spray available via my vets (I stopped using preventative applications like Clik or Crovect partly because I usually sell hoggs over the summer and the withdrawal times are too long and partly I loathe to apply those really quite toxic chemicals to the sheep's skin if I am meant to use gloves...). Vet now tells me they don't get the spray anymore, local agri merchant doesn't do it either.

Have just treated a lamb using maggot oil, but not convinced it is the best to use. It is a lot messier than the spray I have been using (ran out of last bottle last week...) and I find a lot of really tiny maggots still wriggling about...
What do organic sheep farmers use?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Flytrsike treatment - what to use other than Crovect?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 04:17:52 pm »
I am not organic but Crovect withdrawal is 8 days I think and will treat established strike. Whilst the use of chemicals isn’t nice I guess neither is flystrike. I’m glad mine have all been treated with Clik this year  :relief:  lesser of 2 evils. Clikzin has a short withdrawal but more for prevention than treatment

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 05:01:14 pm »
I use magot oil, it kills the maggots and helps sooth their skin, particularly if its red raw. People use all sorts of things including diluted Jeys fluid, many of them work but must sting like hell and can't be nice for the sheep!

Herbs,Hens and Spaniels

• Joined Dec 2017
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 05:23:49 pm »
Hi Anke,
I looked into this too! As far as I can tell organic farmers have to use chemical treatments for established fly strike- this year I used Ectofly which has 8 days withdrawal.
Does your local store sell Nettex Umbilical Spray? I know it's not meant for flystrike but I used it in desperation when I ran out of that strike plus and personally found it to work better.
 Apparently an old anti-maggot trick was to cover sheep with linseed oil- I've never tried it though so no idea as to whether it actually works or if it's just an old wives tale. The other thing I've read is that in Australia organic sheep farmers dip their sheep in a very strong sort of eucalyptus leaf tea. Obviously they make huge quantities of it and have a good supply of eucalyptus leaves though!  :D  ::)
Really feeling for you- flystrike is awful!! Best of luck  :thumbsup:

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 08:40:28 pm »
I use Vectocert, its the same as Crovect with an 8 day meat withdrawl but a lot cheaper when I purchased it earlier this year. Don't want to have flystrike.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 10:52:23 pm »
In my flock I still got some flystrike even after applying either Clik or before that Crovect, so levels are not significantly higher now without any preventative treatment - but needs daily check and I have been breeding back to white Shetlands.

After a bit of ummhing and aaahing, my vets can now get me a couple of cans of the Nettex Strike PLus, so hopefully that will be there tomorrow. Just found the maggot oil a bit messy to use, but hopefully it does the job (it is also very persistent smell on my hands, and no I did not wear gloves in the current heatwave...). The lamb has also had an Alamycin injection, some Loxicom and a vitamin shot. He looked quite bright this evening, and I will be getting him back in tomorrow to re-check.
Oh the joys of sheep...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS