Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat coughing?  (Read 1684 times)

cici

• Joined Jun 2019
Goat coughing?
« on: July 16, 2019, 05:35:08 pm »
Hi all. Ever since I got this goat, about two months ago, he has been coughing. He does it usually after running or playing, but sometimes just when he is standing around. It’s a dry cough.
He has been wormed twice. Once before I got him and again with ivomec, I believe. He has also had antibiotics.
Quite thin compared to the other goats I got him with, though I feed them separately so he doesn’t get bossed.

Does anyone know what could be wrong? I don’t know if I should call the vet again, since I don’t know what else he can do?

I have been giving garlic and honey as instructed by him as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 05:36:50 pm by cici »

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Goat coughing?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 07:22:50 am »
Any chance he has lungworm?

cici

• Joined Jun 2019
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 07:49:33 pm »
The vet didn't mention a test, but I'll need to ask about the possibility of doing it.

I'm giving them good hay that smells fine to me, but my dad is keeping a huge pile of old, bad quality, dusty hay that he planned to feed to the sheep, right next to the goat pen. I can't smell it from far away, but maybe that is doing some harm? It's going to be burned soon, but moving it will be difficult, and and he is waiting for a day when the wind is strong and isn't going towards the fields.

They are all the same age and breed, bought from the same place and raised together. I believe all the tests have been done as its a reputable farm, and they had him on a regular worming schedule.

He has a good coat and has been wormed regularly, but are lungworms still a strong possibility?

The coughing always happens after a long run or when he's been playing with the other two. It's like a dry coughing fit, sometimes he coughs once or twice, but other times he coughs quite a few times.

The vet has been here twice, but maybe I'll call soon?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:51:14 pm by cici »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 08:30:02 pm »
Is this an adult or a kid we are talking about? Wether ot entire? I am just asking as if wether and/or kid you could take him to the vets rather than calling out maybe - much cheaper.

Lungworm is quite difficult to get rid off, it needs repeat dosing, also goats usually need double the sheep dose (or 1.5 x sheep dose for yellow wormers).
He may also had a bout of pneumonia as a youngster - this often leads to scarring in the lungs and he will always be coughing. But most likely lungworm, possibly worse if dusty hay nearby.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS