Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: worming  (Read 2955 times)

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
worming
« on: October 14, 2010, 08:32:11 pm »
i'm about to worm my pigs........ any suggestions/advice please
 :dunce:

HappyHippy

Re: worming
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 09:03:21 pm »
I assume you're injecting them as opposed to using an oral treatment ?
Wait til they're eating, have a good strong gate between you and them (though that's maybe just cos we've recently done our boar  ;)) Decide where you're jagging and go for it. Don't pussyfoot around or they'll start to get suspicious. Just stay calm and do it as quickly and with as little fuss as possible, keeping a good hold of the syringe (you don't want them running off with it still in them). You'll not get near them once you've done it, but by tomorrow they'll have forgotten all about it. Oh, and take spare needles - just incase you bend any !
HTH & good luck !
Karen

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 10:51:45 pm »
where do inject on a pig?
Langdon ;)

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 08:44:37 am »
I either do it behind the ear or the rump - depending what the jag is for (it says on the info in the box where the best site is usually)
Karen

meddon pigs

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 10:19:40 pm »
]hi, i just wormed my pigs today and i want be in a rush to that again  :pig:. the tamworth pigs where fine ,the Devon blacks hated it.i injection them and if you are going to inject them do it quick[/color][/color][/b]

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 09:17:52 am »
We use Pannacur pellet wormer. Available from good agricultural stores.
http://www.intervet.co.uk/binaries/089682%20Panacur%20for%20Pigs%20Guide%20-%2075182-May2007-MP-7K_tcm92-160898.pdf
You just put this in with their food.  Downside is that the smallest bag is over £40 but you only need a small amount.  With 45 sows, 2 boars, and 3 litters a month it pays for us to do it this way.

If you are going to inject, investing in a slapshot

http://www.slapshot-flex-vac.com/

is well worth the money.  I use it for any and every injection, works really well.

Use with Luer-lug needles and syringes (widely available)

http://www.farmandcountrysupplies.co.uk/slapshot-vaccinator-needle-not-included.ir?cName=farm-smallholding-medical-healthcare-medicines-needles-drenchers-pour-on-applicators

is one source, although I got mine sent over from the states at a much cheaper cost.
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 09:20:30 pm »
I have always been told not to inject in the rump if you want nice hams/roast. I agree that you need to be in and out, very controlled and calm. Pellets sound a good idea for the nervous keeper and I like the slap system too.
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 09:32:28 pm »
Hi - just registered with this  site - looks great!

We are in the process of planning and learning how to rear pigs organically.. not thought about worming... any thoughts from those of you out there who are raising pigs organically.. what do you do about worming??

Thanks
ZB
 :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS