Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Glamping and/or caravan/Moho sites - SCOTLAND  (Read 1939 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Glamping and/or caravan/Moho sites - SCOTLAND
« on: July 14, 2019, 03:04:52 pm »
Anyone developed either glamping or a small caravan/MH site on their smallholding?  Experience with either using agricultural paddock or within the garden curtliage welcome. 

I am considering a garage extension to use as Airbnb/guest accomm but have several places in the domestic garden ground that could put a pod, 'BBQ hut' or similar. 

There's also a 2.5 acre paddock that would make a great site, but I'm guessing would be 'slightly more complicated' in terms of changing use.  I know large farms get these as diversification of agri business, but anyone with smallholdings that's tried would be more helpful to know about.  My holding is 10 acres approx.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Glamping and/or caravan/Moho sites - SCOTLAND
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 07:15:54 am »
I think (check with Caravan Club or similar) that you can have up to 5 touring caravans without PP.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 10:50:18 am »
What would you do with regard to sewage disposal?

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 07:22:47 pm »
There is capacity in the existing septic tank and pipes into it (plus power and water) from where the barn now stands as it used to be the site of a static caravan when the house was being built in the 70s.  Needs a jet wash to check it's clear but the tank has just been emptied.  I believe the basic size is for up to 6 people based on 2 per bedroom and I've only 2 bedrooms so a 3rd bedroom or a double accommodation outside would work in the first instance.

What I can't have is caravan folk emptying chemical toilets they've brought onsite with them, so that would be a drawback for caravan/moho parking. 

A toilet in a corner of the barn and/or leasing from Scotloo/Portaloo would work just as well, I've seen both on different sites. 
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 09:36:42 am »
I think (check with Caravan Club or similar) that you can have up to 5 touring caravans without PP.

You do still need permission but the Caravan Club sort it out for you. They assess your site and then deal with the planning. They would advise if they thought it wasn't suitable too, say access wasn't safe or something.

People do seem to expect facilities these days especially electric hook up.

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 10:55:13 am »

Ellied, my experience has been this -
Down in England,  a long long time ago, our smallholding was a caravan and camping club certified location. When we started all that was required was a tap in the field where your guests camped and somewhere to discharge a chemical toilet. We did this for a couple of years then the c&c club changed the rules. As I remember, a change to insurance was needed and (I think) more facilities for bathing/pot washing/wc. For the amount we got per year it didn't cover any of the costs associated with the upgrade, so we stopped. Now, moving to Scotland,  we thought we would try an upgraded site with what are now referred to as glamping pods. We contacted the council and they said yes! Please submit your plans and they will be passed - after all, we need tourists in the area. So, a few months later after a very expensive trip to the architect we submitted the plans only to be told that despite the need to bring tourists to the area they must be able to get to us by public transport. What a farce! Needless to say we are a good 4 miles from any bus stop so our plans were scunnered again.
Don't let my experience put you off though take a look at this site  down on the farm.net
although this is a farmer and his wife who run the site with, no doubt, grants etc for diversification etc it shows what can be done.
I seem to remember though that the planning process wasn't a walk in the park.

good luck if you go ahead - have you spoken to the council yet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS