Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rat droppings in straw - discard or keep?  (Read 1580 times)

startingup

• Joined Jun 2019
Rat droppings in straw - discard or keep?
« on: July 06, 2019, 09:21:07 pm »
Hi all,  :)
The subject says it all, but basically, I am just about to acquire some calves, and I have noticed that several of my bales of straw that I was going to use have some dried and some fresh rat droppings in and on them. They are also in a lot of the loose straw around the bales. Should I discard this straw or are the droppings harmless. I only want to discard the straw if I have to, because there is quite a large amount affected. And its not cheap stuff! :-\

Obviously I have a rat problem which I need to control, but can anyone advise please?
Thanks.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Rat droppings in straw - discard or keep?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 11:27:18 pm »
It’s not the rat droppings themselves which are harmful I think, but the rat wee they dribble as they run around on and through the bales. That can carry all sorts of disease, I’m afraid, including leptospirosis which can certainly affect cattle.  I wouldn’t risk it with baby calves, I don’t think.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 07:26:55 am »
That can carry all sorts of disease, I’m afraid, including leptospirosis which can certainly affect cattle.  I wouldn’t risk it with baby calves, I don’t think.

And people.

The bait you can buy now if you haven't done a course is imo fairly useless but you will need to bait them. We use blocks nailed onto wood which we put where our dogs can't get them. Target nest areas and runs. Keep going until no fresh droppings. If they have taken bait droppings will be coloured. You can also use bait boxes.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 08:58:19 am »
I think if every farmers ditched their straw that had rat dropping on then they would be chucking nearly all of it! I’ve never been to a farm yet that has no rats and they do so love straw bales for some reason

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 09:15:00 am »
Control the rats but use the straw as long as it is dry.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS