Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: GOS to slaughter, when ?  (Read 3281 times)

wizz

• Joined Oct 2010
GOS to slaughter, when ?
« on: October 14, 2010, 01:26:50 pm »
Hi there

Joined the forum last night and have my first question for you all !! Am a little concerned as to when I should send my two, 14 week old, GOS's off.  They are my first go at keeping pigs and I have been thoroughly blown away by it so far ! The boys are for our freezer, we are going to make our own bacon/sausages etc but obviously want nice cuts & joints too.

Have been told that 6 months is the drop dead time for boars to send off and am trying to book them but am hitting a problem !  They will be 6 months old on 19th December, not a good time at all due to it being Christmas week and the butcher has already said no but January is fine!

Can I let them go a little longer until January? Have been trawling through the web for more options and just getting myself in a pickle now !!!!

Wizz  :pig:

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
Re: GOS to slaughter, when ?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 01:41:01 pm »
Hi there, 6 months.  Make sure you don't overfeed them during the last 4-6 weeks.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 01:51:15 pm »
Don't panic !  ;)
They'll be fine to hang on til January. There's a lot of concern about 'boar taint' in males, but in my experience boars being kept outside and reared more slowly (and away from gilts) don't seem to be affected. A couple of weeks shouldn't make any difference.
HTH
Karen

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 02:05:18 pm »
We sent some GOS boars off at nearly eight months and they were absolutely fine!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 02:57:16 pm »
Yes, they'll be fine for another few weeks.
Lots of advice on this forum about loading etc. Enjoy the pork!

Eve  :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 03:52:44 pm »
I have 2 9 month old boars going off on MOnday.  If you want bacon its better to grow them on a little so the eye of the bacon is a reasonable size.  Any extra fat can be used in the sausages.  If you are concerned they are too fat about 6 weeks before slaughter cut back on the protein and feed more veg for bulk, to reduce the fat.

wizz

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 04:15:31 pm »
Oh thankyou everyone for your replies, feeling a little calmer about it all now!

Will get them booked in for January for after the Xmas rush has gone as really wanted to use the village butcher in a bid to support local business in our village. Shame really that they will be so busy, fancied home grown for Christmas dinner! Just have try and borrow a trailer now LOLs, live rural so plenty of farmers to smile at - though have never driven a trailer so they will probably be the ones smiling ! oh and the concept of getting the boys into a trailer is going to be funny!

The boys aren't tagged yet - am just about to order some, which ones are the best? little plastic ones? obviously my herd number goes on them or does it increment by 01,02 for each pig?

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 05:16:45 pm »

The boys aren't tagged yet - am just about to order some, which ones are the best? little plastic ones? obviously my herd number goes on them or does it increment by 01,02 for each pig?

Wizz,
Welcome

As long as they stay on your holding they do not need to be tagged, so don't bother unless you need to know which is which (and that shoudn't be the case).

As you are doing off for meat, they do need to be either tagged or slapmarked to go to slaughter at any age.

Should you sell them on, they would need to be tagged if they are over 12 months, if under that age can move live to another holding on a temporary mark.

To tag for abattoir, they need metal tags, these only need your herd number of them - there is no individual ID for pigs unless you get into showing them!  They need to be metal to survive the abattoir processes.

An alternative is to slapmark them.

There is no point in putting on a metal tag until just before they go off, as they may lose it, and as above they do not require it.

As for choice of method two factors
1. Cost 
Tagging - about £20 for pliers and 60p per tag. Slapmarker kit around £80, but no further costs (bottle of ink will last years). 
2. Ease of use
Tagging requires you to get hold of pigs ear (relatively easy to do when they are eating) positon pliers and then squeeze quickly but firmly.  Slapmarking involves "slapping" each shoulder, so you don't need to get hold of your pig, just get near enough.

So maybe order your METAL tags or slapmarker now, but don't use them.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 05:19:15 pm by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 07:23:45 pm »
It might also be worth checking with your abbetior if they have any preference.
Ours prefer metal tags to slapmarks and don't like any temporary paint/spray used on them, but everywhere's slightly different.
Karen

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 06:16:37 pm »
Our GOS boars were 7 and a half months old when they went for slaughter - 2 killed out at 64kg, 1 at 77kg and 1 at 82kg - and the meat is FAB
Tish

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS