Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CCTV on a smallholding  (Read 2333 times)

billy_wiz

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Anglesey
CCTV on a smallholding
« on: July 02, 2019, 08:43:22 pm »
Firstly not sure if this post is in the right place, if not my apologies.

We live on a smallholding the nearest neighbours are about 1/4 mile away, in everyway it's idealic location, although living in a rural location the internet is poor unsure whether that affects CCTV..

However over the last 2 weeks we have had unwanted visitor's, whom have vandalised are vehicles, we informed the police and they suggested CCTV, having looked into world of CCTV I'm confused, they are so many about and the price range is so vast...…...I know it would be better getting 1080p unit (not £10.80p) as the picture quality is better.  DIY is no problem for me, however the wireless look tempting to purchase.

Has anyone had any experience of CCTV systems.

Many thanks for your replies.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: CCTV on a smallholding
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 09:21:17 pm »
Wi-Fi won't affect it as it will be recorded on a hard drive - you can have one accessible through internet app on your phone etc.

Our system cost around £2000 but it also includes the alarm.

You don't need anything wireless. We have 7 cameras around the house all connected to small screen and hard drive in the attic.
Thank God we only watch foxes on it.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Cssonsfarming

• Joined Jun 2019
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 10:15:22 pm »
I have Arlo, 2 video cameras, works of the wifi. Not expensive to buy, my wifi is crap, but they still work perfectly, there motion sensors aswell. Worth every penny. Get them at argos. You can be 300 miles away from home and still get live view on your phone. Hope it helps.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 12:59:29 am »
We have CCTV which I think my husband got fro Scewfix, it also sends pictures to your phone in real time as well as a hard drive. We also have a beam system with siren, and it alerts your phone for the back areas. Its runs on solar and set at 3ft  so the dogs do not set it off.There is no point in having CCTV if you do not know they are there, our neighbours with CCTV had someone steal something outside while they were in the house, in daylight. We leave light's on, LED's all night.
  They usually come from the back so any blind spots are lit and we padlock all the gates. You will never stop them completely, you just make it difficult. I also never leave anything in one place, oh alright I am untidy, and everything of real value is in the house.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 01:02:24 pm »
Even if you get wireless you have to run power. You can run power down the same cable system as video back or use local storage or (if you have internet access at a  reasonable speed -I wish- ) then cloud storage and cloud access or (if you have a phone signal - again i wish- ) you can send pics to your phone.
At night you either have to light the place or rely on IR cameras when pic quality is degraded and range limited... stick a really strong IR source and it washes the camera out.

I'm sorry to say that when i did have CCTV and got pics of rascals then the police response was 'Do you know who they are or we're not going to find them - here's your crime number' A complete waste of space and the rascals know to wear hoodies, false plates or a nicked vehicle, wield a machete and carry cutting tools and your lovely flood lighting makes their job easier. Yes I'm cynical.

You are likely as well off with a few in-your-face quality dummy cameras and a few signs. i say that 'cos when i lived in S London I had a comprehensive camera system using quite small cameras and it wasn;t until i stuck a bloody great fake one (an expensive large cam housing) on the apex of the house that trouble stopped.

You can get alarm systems that generate a noise that makes you nauseous or a syetm that dumps smart water or dye on the tow-rags (risk an assault charge) or syetms that generate an impossible fog.
I understand that if you have a shotgun you need to get them in the front so you can claim they were attacking and you feared for your life.. and make sure it's fatal so there's no arguments about the story. Perhaps ignore that last sentence..

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 04:15:26 pm »
In South African the POLICE recommend that you have a blow torch system that's switches on and burns person alive if someone is trying to open your car door and kidnap you when you stop at traffic lights  :o
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 10:24:26 pm »
You dont need to spend silly money
i have 24 cameras all installed by myself prefer cable to wifi as its more reliable if you use network cable instead of coax you can  run four cameras from one cable , and it can be up to 400m long without picture quality  loss
I have 300m runs with no problems.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 05:08:13 pm »
I understand that if you have a shotgun you need to get them in the front so you can claim they were attacking and you feared for your life.. and make sure it's fatal so there's no arguments about the story. Perhaps ignore that last sentence..
A friend has just had all of his power tools robbed from his farm.  The thieving gits made his dogs bark, so he went out to investigate with his shotgun but they had already fled. 

When the police arrived to make a report, the thing they were most interested in was whether or not his shotgun was loaded when he went outside.   ::)

billy_wiz

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 11:55:57 am »
Thanks for all the info...………………….Having 2 sets of gates and chains fitted.   

Then having looked at your comments hopefully will make it clearer as to what system to get.

I agree will all the comments, you are just trying to make it more difficult for them, even the most expensive system will be useless if they wear hoods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS