Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ruined hay field  (Read 8358 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Re: Ruined hay field
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 03:48:48 pm »
Someone who passed away last year.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 10:45:14 pm »
Yeah I think I knew it might be a problem finding someone. A couple had time to talk a lot and air their knowledge but not interested in helping - just disappointed.
 Not sure how many bales we’d even need!

Maybe expecting help isn't the approach which gets help.  If others see you making every effort yourself, then they are more likely to offer help I think.  It also works if you offer to help them out first with something you can do (but you have to have met them first, I know). I helped a neighbour's wife with humphing and stacking bales in the barn, and in return they made our hay that year (plus for halfers of the crop).  It helps to listen to those more knowledgeable than you - listen and store away the knowledge

We go by 5 small bales per sheep for a hard winter, and usually have a little left over.  I don't know about for other animals.  I have never found out what 'horse quality hay' is, just what suits our sheep.  One big round bale seems to be the equivalent of about 6 small square bales, but it does vary with how tightly packed they are.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 10:47:14 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2019, 09:14:25 am »
Yeah I think I knew it might be a problem finding someone. A couple had time to talk a lot and air their knowledge but not interested in helping - just disappointed.

Maybe expecting help isn't the approach which gets help.  If others see you making every effort yourself, then they are more likely to offer help I think.  It also works if you offer to help them out first with something you can do (but you have to have met them first, I know). I helped a neighbour's wife with humphing and stacking bales in the barn, and in return they made our hay that year (plus for halfers of the crop).  It helps to listen to those more knowledgeable than you - listen and store away the knowledge

We go by 5 small bales per sheep for a hard winter, and usually have a little left over.  I don't know about for other animals.  I have never found out what 'horse quality hay' is, just what suits our sheep.  One big round bale seems to be the equivalent of about 6 small square bales, but it does vary with how tightly packed they are.

I think the OP was prepared to pay. Unfortunately it is difficult to find someone who will do small areas and small bales these days.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2019, 09:35:53 am »
If you do cut it with a scythe and manage to dry it, you could make a hand bailer. There are various designs on YouTube.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2019, 12:38:19 pm »

I think the OP was prepared to pay. Unfortunately it is difficult to find someone who will do small areas and small bales these days.

Absolutely was willing to pay. Wouldn’t expect anyone to do something for nothing. If we had more flat land we would probably have invested in an old tractor and bits to do it, but just can’t justify the expense at the moment. Hopefully as time goes by we’ll get to know more people at a similar level to us that we can work with. Or maybe I’m still dreaming!!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2019, 12:42:01 pm »
Hopefully as time goes by we’ll get to know more people at a similar level to us that we can work with.

I think it just takes time to make connections when your new to an area.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2019, 12:54:22 pm »

I know that harmony.  My point is that sometimes, in the smallholding community, payment isn't the only option.  For others as well as the OP, what they might mostly need is help, not a little bit of cash.

We have helped various people, neighbours,  with their haymaking since we got our own machinery, but they soon seem to take advantage and expect us to do all the work - even on their own crop.  No help even with carting and stacking, and from one even complaints because we hadn't stacked their hay just how they wanted it, while they had taken the opportunity for a holiday  ??? From another help stopped dead when dinner time was reached, but no time for us to stop to eat before the weather closed inThese are people half our age!  We love to help people out, but if they expect that help as if we are contractors, then we retreat.  Offering money would be something of an insult in return for a favour, but helping us with our own crop would be lovely.  There is a slightly different economy amongst smallholders, don't you think, where money is not the true currency.

I'm not suggesting that the OP would be like my examples, but I am trying to explain one possible reason he isn't getting the help he has hoped for.  Perhaps those around him have been taken for a ride before.  But don't give up Tommytink, there are plenty of lovely helpful people around and you will meet them one day.  Don't stop dreaming.

It could be worth approaching a contractor who might help if he/she is doing other work close by.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 12:58:43 pm by Fleecewife »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2019, 02:46:55 pm »

I know that harmony.  My point is that sometimes, in the smallholding community, payment isn't the only option.  For others as well as the OP, what they might mostly need is help, not a little bit of cash.

There is a slightly different economy amongst smallholders, don't you think, where money is not the true currency.

It could be worth approaching a contractor who might help if he/she is doing other work close by.

I don't disagree with you Fleecewife but I think tommytink has explored the contractor option. I would really struggle here to get anyone to small bale despite being on good terms with my farming neighbours. Maybe he will find someone who will do it in the future for payment or help but it might just be easier to do something else with the field and buy in.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2019, 08:19:17 pm »
Yes at this stage you are right Harmony.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2019, 09:12:17 pm »
Well we spoke to another neighbour (non-farming) who spoke to someone they know who puts some sheep on their land and he came and cut it for us. So it’s down at least. He said the reason he’d come was because he’d been in our position before. Said next time get it all lined up before it needs doing, which is what we’ve been trying to do. So he got paid and as we always say to everyone that we think might be useful to do swapsies with, let us know if they ever need a hand with anything. I seriously think though around here people aren’t too keen on taking you up on offers of help for fear of being in your pocket. We’ve certainly never had to try and ask for help so much before.
One guy said he might be able to small bale if it’s cut. He has a tedder too but didn’t mention about that. The guy that cut it said he could maybe come and ted it but he lives further away than the one with the small baler. So we’re maybe thinking try and turn by hand, try and find someone to ted it the last time, and cross fingers for getting it baled. Not looking likely though as we left a message and not heard back. Which’ll be a shame as it’s money down the drain. But at least we know for next year not to bother!! It had to be cut one way or another so hey ho!
Perhaps we are expecting too much. We are eager to throw ourselves into a farming community where everyone lends a hand to each other but hopefully we’ll get to know more people the longer we’re here.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2019, 09:58:53 pm »
Well we spoke to another neighbour (non-farming) who spoke to someone they know who puts some sheep on their land and he came and cut it for us. So it’s down at least. He said the reason he’d come was because he’d been in our position before. Said next time get it all lined up before it needs doing, which is what we’ve been trying to do. So he got paid and as we always say to everyone that we think might be useful to do swapsies with, let us know if they ever need a hand with anything. I seriously think though around here people aren’t too keen on taking you up on offers of help for fear of being in your pocket. We’ve certainly never had to try and ask for help so much before.
One guy said he might be able to small bale if it’s cut. He has a tedder too but didn’t mention about that. The guy that cut it said he could maybe come and ted it but he lives further away than the one with the small baler. So we’re maybe thinking try and turn by hand, try and find someone to ted it the last time, and cross fingers for getting it baled. Not looking likely though as we left a message and not heard back. Which’ll be a shame as it’s money down the drain. But at least we know for next year not to bother!! It had to be cut one way or another so hey ho!
Perhaps we are expecting too much. We are eager to throw ourselves into a farming community where everyone lends a hand to each other but hopefully we’ll get to know more people the longer we’re here.
tommytink,
Having been in your situation many years ago I understand your predicament .
As I understand it Its 1.5 acres, not a lot ,so I suggest  you start turning by hand , watch a few on line videos to get the idea and get help if possible , Its repetitive to start with but you will get the hang of it and you will ache, a lot.
The first spread is the worst as the grass is heavy and still full of moisture. but it gets lighter each time you work it,trust me.
If you get to the hay is made stage and there is absolutely ,positively, defiantly no chance of baling , even bribing someone is worth a try, then you still have an option that you must plan for in any case, and that is to make a hay stack*, properly , again there are videos, this is important , all the time and effort invested cannot be allowed to go to waste.

I know this, in our first year my wife and I did this with 8 acres. Our learning curve was steep, very steep, as "Incommers" no one wanted to help the white settlers, our first equipment was a trailed fingerbar mower and a converted horse drawn hay rake , both from the "nettle patch" , the land rover towed them , gathering the hay for stacking is the hardest bit.
Make a start. when people see you making an effort you may have a better chance of  getting assistance, but dont waste that grass.

*if you do make a haystack dont cover it with a tarp its not a short cut, lesson learnt. :-\

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 09:47:28 am by Rupert the bear »

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2019, 09:35:35 pm »
Those were the days, cutting the grass with a finger mower and then turning with a wooden hay rake until it was "made". It was then rowed with a horse rake then using hay pikes loaded onto a flat trailer, then built a stack. We used to mow a lot of rush which was put on the top of the stack which was then covered with a heavy duty net and pinned down. What a job it was in the winter to cut it with a hay knife to feed out.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2019, 02:05:46 pm »
I find even if you pay cash on the day no one really wants the work. I have 7 acres of standing grass, next doors is cut because he the son of large family farm, and the contractor  cut his but would not do mine, even though I pay in cash or bank transfer on the day. So many farmers get stung with people wanting something for nothing, a tractor is about £30phr, but its what they are losing doing yours when they have a 50 acres to do for someone else and only so many days when its dry.
  I would rather it was standing than on the floor getting wet. It will be strip grazed as fogage and should keep them until December, and the skylarks have a home

piper28

• Joined May 2019
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2019, 05:56:43 pm »
Looking to buy a smallholding somewhere in scotland at the moment and have been giving this a little thought as i am likely to find myself in the same situation one day.

I thought about buying a quad bike with a trailed mower and then using a walk behind tractor with a small round baler attachment. Cant seem to find a towable quad bike baler.  I might add that none of this equipment needs to be new of course.  Just a thought.  Maybe there are better options!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2019, 08:07:57 pm »
It may turn out better just to buy off the field. At least you have some control over the quality of what you buy. Relying on someone else to make your hay, in an uncertain year, can result in you having to pay to have it turned many times and still ending up with second quality hay.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS