Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scabby Ears - Sheep  (Read 2765 times)

MissJackRussell

• Joined Jun 2019
Scabby Ears - Sheep
« on: June 24, 2019, 10:41:09 pm »
Does anyone know what might be wrong with my ewe? She had an allergic reaction some 2 weeks ago. Swollen head, ears and really lethargic. Vet gave her anti inflam and antibiotics and it cleared up within a day. But since then I have noticed her ears are really scabby and sore.  It appeared when we had all that heavy rain.
Could it be rain scald or is it something more sinister? She seems fine in herself. I have put sudacream on  her ears to try and soothe them and protect from the sun. she is a pet ewe.
Any advice appreciated please!!!  Or do I need to call the vet again
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:33:12 am by MissJackRussell »

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Scabby Ears - Sheep
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 08:27:04 am »
Do you have much buttercup in the field? It can cause photosensitivity and they tend to burn in the least wooly areas - ears! Or it could be rain scald? Sudocreme will act as a sun block and sooth them, I'd of done the same

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 09:14:19 am »
My lambs can get like this after weaning due to a cobalt deficiency. Now I give a cobalt bonus at weaning and all is well

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 12:58:33 pm »
Typical  yellowsis / photosensitivity in a white faced sheep ,head ears swollen then go down and the ears other facial parts dry and scab  , not unknown for ear tips  to fall off . Shade and cover in cream ,most recover with no problems if treated quickly

MissJackRussell

• Joined Jun 2019
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 12:21:05 pm »
Thanks for your replies. She seems to be on the mend :)  Sudacream has helped in this heat

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS