Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe hoggs grazing with ewes and lambs  (Read 1541 times)

Clay

• Joined Oct 2016
Ewe hoggs grazing with ewes and lambs
« on: June 11, 2019, 10:27:13 pm »
Currently I have my ewe hoggs in a separate paddock from this year’s lambs and ewes. This is the normal practice around this area.
Would I be silly putting them all in together? What do other people do?

Putting all the sheep in together would make managing my grazing easier.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Ewe hoggs grazing with ewes and lambs
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 10:51:16 pm »
What would the problem be in having them all together?  I suppose you would have to separate them again if you were selling the hoggs, which would be significant with large numbers.
We no longer keep large numbers of sheep, just a small flock. We have always run our ewe hoggs together with the other females and lambs, including during lambing. This gives the last years lambs experience of what happens at lambing, and what mothering a lamb is about, before they have to do it for real.  It does make a difference I believe.
We keep all our males, including tup lambs from 4 1/2 months, together in a field across the road, which keeps them well separated.
Sheep have a natural need to live in family groups, so keeping last year's lambs plus this year's lambs together with their dams keeps them settled.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 10:51:44 pm »
I can’t see it would cause an issue unless you’re still feeding ewes (hoggs shouldn’t need much feed really) and the lambs are a bit older. My plan next year is to run as 1 group once lambs are 6-8 weeks old.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 07:09:35 am »
I tend to do this if i can
From a parasite point of view it would be good practice
Mature sheep (hoggs) tend to be worm resistant to some degree and hence will hoover up worm eggs
Ewes with lambs at foot are under more stress and are less resistant hence leaving many worm eggs on the pasture which of course infest the naive lambs  (periparturient rise)

So grazing hoggs with ewes & lambs should help the worm burden  :)

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 07:34:08 am »
The only time I would keep them separate would be if the 'good grazing' was in short supply and I wanted to save it for the ewes with lambs. Otherwise they all go in together, it makes life a lot easier for me and I can rotate and rest the fields better.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 09:36:09 am »
On a commercial basis  ewe hoggs are kept separate  , because they need far fewer treatments   than ewes and lambs , can be sheared earlier and kept on distant grazing  and are normally in large enough numbers to be kept separately .  Mixing causes no problem

Clay

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 08:03:44 pm »
Thanks everyone for your replies. I will put the hoggs in with ewes and lambs.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS