Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Copper deficiency? (Pictures)  (Read 3026 times)

cici

• Joined Jun 2019
Copper deficiency? (Pictures)
« on: June 11, 2019, 10:06:17 pm »
Hi all. I’ve noticed my goat’s colour changing, and I’m worried it could be deficiency in copper.
I use this feed: https://www.smallholderfeed.co.uk/products/goats/all-round-goat-mix/

Does this provide the copper required? I am feeding 0.5kg a day.

If not, should I start using a mineral, like manna pro? I was told not to because apparently the food has everything. But would this, combined with the food, be too much?

Hopefully the picture is attached.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 05:31:21 am by cici »

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Copper deficiency? (Pictures)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 10:41:52 am »
Hello.  In my experience it is not unusual to get some roaning in a coat as a goat matures so that could just be it.

Re copper in the goat feed - the website suggests 8.7mg/kg - personally for me that is way too low.  Do your goats have access to a mineral lick that contains copper?

If you are concerned then I would contact your vet as they will be able to advise on your feeding regime and local soil factors etc.

Whilst copper deficiency is an issue - so too can be copper poisoning

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 07:34:45 pm »
What's her breeding - any chance she has some Guernsey ancestry?
Also if you are worried and there are other signs of ill-thrift - like what's her body condition, how well does she milk, what's her worm status etc, then the best way forward would be to take her to the vets and get them to take a blood sample. If you are unsure about her worm status, a faecal sample would also be helpful. Sometimes a heavy worm burden will also lead to low Copper.

How old is she?

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 09:51:28 pm »
Thats low imo
Thought recent EU paper recommended 35mg up from 25mg
Moles do a sheep vitamin drench that contains copper.
I would give her a 2 gram bolous then another in 3 months 4 gram is  dose for adult but 2 gram would
not cause any issues

cici

• Joined Jun 2019
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 06:42:30 pm »
Hi everyone. This was waiting for approval for ages, so I just assumed it never posted after getting no email notifications. Really sorry I took so long to respond.
He is just five months, anglo-nubian.
It could totally just be a change of coat. I only got them about a month and a half ago, and I think I'm getting a bit anxious about everything, lol.

I rang the place that sells the food, and they told me I was feeding the right amount for the age, and that they don't need anything else, but I'm not sure. I'm worried about feeding too much.

I'm thinking about getting this salt lick. Would that be ok?
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/rockies-baby-red-salt-lick-2kg

There are lots of clovers on the fields though, and don't they contain some copper? I'm a complete idiot when it comes to these things.

The food + the salt lick, would that be too much for them, or ok?

Thanks everyone for responding.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 08:45:36 pm »
Yes to the Red Rockie, they will only use it if/when they need it. As he is AN I would say it is a natural change of colour - totally white AN's are really quite rare, you usually have some roan in them.
 Enjoy your goats, no need to fret all the time.

cici

• Joined Jun 2019
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 09:10:45 pm »
I will go and buy the red rockie tomorrow then, thank you :)

I think I will make another forum post for this, but what should I be feeding them? I've heard too much grain can cause urinary calculi.
I have been using the all round goat mix, about 0.5 kg a day as advised. Do they need anything else, besides the salt lick? Should I reduce the feed?

Sorry for my ignorance. I'm just trying to figure this out.

Rushy

• Joined Aug 2019
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 02:02:12 am »
I will go and buy the red rockie tomorrow then, thank you :)

I think I will make another forum post for this, but what should I be feeding them? I've heard too much grain can cause urinary calculi.
I have been using the all round goat mix, about 0.5 kg a day as advised. Do they need anything else, besides the salt lick? Should I reduce the feed?

Sorry for my ignorance. I'm just trying to figure this out.

Provide them more diverse feed options and a mineral lick imo. Goats love diverse food (grass roots wont pull up deep minerals) and foods offered above ground (helps avoid parasites) - trees work great, free/cheap too! just make sure they grow big enough to stand the pressure first or if grown outside the yard pollard/coppice/prune for fodder.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS