Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: getting out  (Read 3108 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
getting out
« on: October 13, 2010, 06:40:33 pm »
when does are in heat do they at times want to escape to look for a billy?
milly is escaping now quite alot as prior to this she was really good.
langdon.
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: getting out
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 09:21:25 pm »
They might try and escape when they are actually in season, but it is unlikely that she would try and escape day after day for say 2 weeks. She might try and escape for 3 days every 3 weeks.

Beth

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 07:41:46 pm »
 thanks beth i didnt think she would escape right through the breeding season either!!!!!!
that would be a problem!
still waiting to get truck back from garage  >:( 2wks now.
hope all is well with you ;)
langdon :goat:
p.s. molly is starting to grow a little beared :D

Langdon ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 08:17:30 pm »
Savannah seems to be coming into season, she's bleating non stop (sorry neighbours!!) but in contrast, she's not escaped or tried to since our nanny died. everything seems calm. too calm!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 10:46:20 pm »
are you hoping to breed from her this year?
we want to bring milly to a stud which we have been in contact with, but as i said the truck has been in garage now
for nearly over 3wks  >:( >:( >:(  and even when it does come out i still have to get a c.a.e. bloodtest done in the vets
and results might take up to a week, more  >:( >:( >:(
langdon :goat: :D we must keep our heads up and keep smiling huh?
Langdon ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 10:09:49 am »
deffo keep your head up Langdon, things will work out, they always do  :)

yep, we plan to breed from savannah this year. I had put it on hold as was banking on my toggy's milk to see me through for the soap making business but as we no longer have her, I have had to rethink.  We have a GG down the road who will be savannah's boyfriend. plan to mate her later though as don't have warm facilities to kid early spring (and tony would go bonkers to find a goat and her kids next to the aga!!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 10:07:23 am »
now thats what i call reall farming!, thats what they did in ol' days.
there's only one way to find out!
langdon :goat: ;D
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 10:53:25 am »
We often bring our kids into the house. And about 35 years ago, mum had to have a caeserian done- which the vet performed on our kitchen floor! The goat and kids were then kept overnight in the sitting room ( I might add my parents hadn't long moved in and the sitting room had been gutted in preparation for being re-done!)

Beth

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 08:38:27 pm »
We often have piglets or lambs in my daughter's bathroom, her radiator is the overfill from the hot water and its a lovely warm room. When its really drastic, the heat lamp is set up in the middle of the kitchen, hubby is always first to get it set up and keep an eye on the patient. The animals are my hobby, but he likes playing nurse at home. It does make it easy to keep constant vigil., especially when its raining or worse. How about a baby playpen so that they are contained?
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 11:11:29 am »
I'm starting to love the idea of kids in the kitchen now - stop tempting me you lot lol!!! 

how's your potential escapee Langdon? has she stopped trying to get out?  I've been watching savannah more closely since your question and she'd definately not trying to escape, which for her is unusual behaviour  ::)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 08:12:09 pm »
If she wags her tail like mad at the sniff of a billy rag you are in business! One of my kids (born in March) did that just today (but no teenage pregnancies here), and there are no other signs! Also my BT nanny did not show any visible signs (no bleating either this year), only wagged her tail on sniffing billy rag. So really that will show you if you have no entire male goats wihtin smelling distance from them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS