Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Outdoor fly traps  (Read 1902 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Outdoor fly traps
« on: June 03, 2019, 02:44:24 pm »
I have read on the NADIS website that “Inexpensive fly traps have been shown to reduce strike incidence by 80% in a season”.
Has anyone used fly traps outside, and if so what sort? I’m guessing not the sticky tape stuff hanging from trees!!
I’ve just ordered up a bottle of Clik. Getting so paranoid about flies as all of a sudden there seems to be swarms of them, collecting on poop etc. I’ve been killing what I can, but if traps reduce incidences by that much it’s worth a go.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Outdoor fly traps
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 02:56:33 pm »
Red top fly traps.  They catch a lot of flies.  I certainly found they helped the sheep on the edge of some woodland where we got a lot of headflies. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 03:59:47 pm »
Ah okay. So an auction site has various brands of this design. Have you used just the Red Top branded ones, or would a cheaper alternative do the same job?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 04:27:56 pm »
I’ve only used the branded ones.

The only things I could imagine going wrong in a cheaper alternative would be a) year flies escape or b) it’s not as robust so can’t be reused as many times
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Nelson International

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 04:35:34 pm »
What are they like to use? We used to use beer traps to stop the slugs on our vegetable plot, but they were truly disgusting to clean out.  :tired: :yuck:

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 05:35:27 pm »
The Red Cap type are single use. That is, when it is full (they capture enormous quantities of flies) tip the contents on the compost heap and throw the container away.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 05:58:45 pm »
Am I imagining that I could replace the bag a few times, then?  (It is entirely possible that I have made that up in my head; it was a few years ago.)

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 08:50:25 pm »
They come with a powder to which you add some water. It’s this concoction that attracts the flies. So you lose that when it’s emptied out.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 02:00:45 am »
You neesbsome muscovy ducks. A study in Canada suggeted that muscovy ducks were more effective in controlling flies in cow sheds than chemicals and traps.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 07:05:32 pm »
I’ve got one up now. Think it takes a few days to ferment a bit and start working. Keeping fingers crossed!

Interesting about the ducks. We have a lot of wild birds about but they don’t seem to get any numbers down.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 08:27:32 pm »
Muscovy ducks - specifically - are the best. Both adults and ducklings hunt flies in flight and eat maggots and eggs.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS