Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kid Vaccination.  (Read 2467 times)

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
Kid Vaccination.
« on: June 02, 2019, 09:52:20 pm »
My kids have been turned out about a month ago and are now two months old. they are the picture of health and growing daily. Though I wasnt aware that they should have been vaccinated.  What should I do at this stage?

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Kid Vaccination.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 06:22:28 am »
The advise is to use lambivac for goats.They need two starter doses 4 weeks apart, then a booster every six months.
I try to time it to get the boosters in line with the does pre-kidding dose.
You can order it from your vetYou're not late with it if the does were vaccinated.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 05:14:05 pm »
They don't 'need' to be vaccinated, some people swear by it and others don't see the need.

Personally, I vaccinated for 5yrs and since stopping haven't noticed any difference. Its a judgement call :/

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 06:06:12 pm »
Fair comment.I was assuming she wanted to vaccinate as that was what she was asking about.
If you're going to vaccinate follow previous advise.if you've looked into it and decided not to, ignore it.

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 08:46:11 pm »
Thank you both , Its just I thought it was vital and i had missed doing it. Iwill give both choices some thought.  what about worming the 2month old kids? whens the right time ?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 09:04:59 pm »
I have had several cases of young goats dying a very painful death from enterotoxaemia, and that is despite vaccination. Tetanus also does still occur, as both diseases are caused by soil living organisms.
So a judgement call.... I still vaccinate, at 4monthly booster intervals.

Tanya Russell

• Joined Jun 2019
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 12:25:07 pm »
I was told this vaccination protocol for goat kids very recently by a good vet and it makes sense to me:

1. If the Mum was vaccinated within 3 months and the kid is feeding from mum, then start the kid on Lambivac at 3 months as the they should have passive immunity from their mums up till then.

2. If not feeding off mum, or mum not vaccinated, then give lambivac at 2 weeks old for the clostridial diseases. Then 1 week later give Ovipast Plus for pasteurellosis caused by M. haemolytica and P. trehalosi. Obviously Lambivac booster 4- 6 weeks after the first injection and the Ovipast give a booster 4 - 6 weeks after the first injection. Then booster for Lambivac every 6 months. It was suggested to me that the Ovipast is only needed when they are young and also useful to give to a female who is breeding, as again she will pass the passive immunity on to the kid to ensure immunity in the first few weeks/ months.

I would always vaccinate as a viable healthy precaution.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 10:39:21 am »
I was told this vaccination protocol for goat kids very recently by a good vet and it makes sense to me:

1. If the Mum was vaccinated within 3 months and the kid is feeding from mum, then start the kid on Lambivac at 3 months as the they should have passive immunity from their mums up till then.

2. If not feeding off mum, or mum not vaccinated, then give lambivac at 2 weeks old for the clostridial diseases. Then 1 week later give Ovipast Plus for pasteurellosis caused by M. haemolytica and P. trehalosi. Obviously Lambivac booster 4- 6 weeks after the first injection and the Ovipast give a booster 4 - 6 weeks after the first injection. Then booster for Lambivac every 6 months. It was suggested to me that the Ovipast is only needed when they are young and also useful to give to a female who is breeding, as again she will pass the passive immunity on to the kid to ensure immunity in the first few weeks/ months.

I would always vaccinate as a viable healthy precaution.

All very correct … and covers all bases …. however if you only have a small number of goats this is an expensive routine as vaccines come in minimal doses and don't keep …    ….as BJ says its a judgment call
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 09:05:00 pm »
what are the costs roughly?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS